MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking For Home Recording Help, Best solution to start recording?
TacoMan
posté mar. 5 avril 2005, 18:40
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 05 avril 05
Lieu : Delray Beach - US
Membre no 63,569

I've done some extensive searching and reading in regards to the best USB interface/software solution and can't seem to figure out the best path.

I have been playing acoustic guitar (primarily rhythm) for 15+ years. I am looking for an interface that will allow me to lay down guitar and vocal tracks -- and then perhaps add other tracks such as percussion. I have absolutely no experience recording so a lot of the info that I've read regarding features and specs goes over my head. Since this is new to me, I prefer to spend only a modest amount of cash.

Should I go with an interface such as the Edirol UA-25 or Tascam US122 (or other) and then add free/inexpensive recording software (e.g. Audacity)? If so, which interface and software?

Or, should I invest a little more and get a more complete package such as Lexicon Omega, Mackie Spike, MBox, etc? Are f these products more than I will need for my purposes?

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.
Taco

P.S. I will most likely be recording in Windows on a PC.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
posté mar. 5 avril 2005, 19:08
Message #2

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Kirkland
Membre no 2,002

Don't think you will get much response asking a Windows question on a Mac forum!!!!
I own both platforms, but I would never use my windows machine for music.
huh.gif blink.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

Ce message a été modifié par gdoubleyou - mar. 5 avril 2005, 19:09.

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
TacoMan
posté mar. 5 avril 2005, 19:15
Message #3

Membre no 63,569

Yeah, I know. I almost hesitated putting the PS on the post as most of the products/software that I'm looking at work on both platforms and I'm just trying to get an idea of which one offers the features that I need.

Also, I may end up picking up a Mac in the near future, so I don't want to preclude answers based only on Windows compatibility.

Thanks for the input,
-->Taco

+Quote Post
zrobert
posté mer. 6 avril 2005, 18:10
Message #4

Inscrit : 25 janv. 05
Lieu : Apple Valley - US
Membre no 59,140

Hi TacoMan! I’m an eighty year old retired, amateur, week-end, “acoustic” piano player, trying to learn computers and MIDI sequencing. I have both “platforms”. I recently bought a Headband microphone and accessories from a helpful sales rep, so I asked the same question you did about an Interface. He said the Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer would be perfect for I wanted to do. That is, play piano or a synthesizer with a rhythm machine and sing, while recording into the computer. I’m in the process of hooking the mixer up now. I’m waiting for support@alesis.com to answer a couple questions, so I don’t blow something out before I get started! I’ve already had that misfortune on the front panel MIC IN jack on one PC. I plugged in the rhythm machine, which I believe did the damage. The Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer comes bundled with Cubase LE Multitrack Recording Software. Everything is compatible with both the PC and Mac. I’ve installed the Cubase LE on both the MAC OS X 10.3 and the PC XP Pro. That’s it! I’ve just installed them. I’ve yet to learn how to use them. I saved the best part for last. $150 for the mixer and the bundle! Check it out. It might be what you’re looking for. If I can be any further help…robert.anderson91@verizon.net.

+Quote Post
chappy
posté jeu. 7 avril 2005, 05:34
Message #5

Rookie

Inscrit : 01 mai 04
Lieu : West Hartford - US
Membre no 42,258

Hey Taco,
Check out the M Audio line.
You can pick up an MBox that would come bundled with lots of usable software
and run on either platform. All for under $400.
I just used and MBzox and I have 4 ProTools setups from MBox and Digi002 to ProTools HD3 and HD2Acell. I use all of it and Pro Tools would keep you in a large loop of people who use the software.
cheers,
chappy

+Quote Post
prologicscot
posté jeu. 7 avril 2005, 06:15
Message #6

Inscrit : 07 avril 05
Lieu : Thurso - UK
Membre no 63,640

Indeed taco

Protools would keep you (like me over the last 4 years) amongst a big loop of people with similar & totally
compatible rigs (both windows & mac)

I use a control 24 mix+ setup on a G4 & I regularly come & go with my mate's setup which is running 002 on a carillon
PC (not all plugins I've found are transferable, mostly I use digirack plugins if I know I'll be computer swapping)

& the plus for me is protools is amasingly self explanatory (for someone who hates manuals it's quite good)

so yeah as chappy said & for mobility as well the M-audio can't be beat

Happy recording
Isaac
http://www.qpqproductions.com

+Quote Post
jbsound-com
posté jeu. 7 avril 2005, 06:18
Message #7

Inscrit : 03 avril 05
Lieu : Baton Rouge - US
Membre no 63,445

I think you would do well with either the M-audio or Presonus products. Presonus stuff comes with Cubase LE for FREE...and that's some pretty good softwate. It requrires firewire but if you don't already have it you can put a firewire card in your computer for like $20. If you are looking to do it on the cheap and only need to record a couple of mics or channels at a time, look at something like the Presonus Firebox.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roneon
posté jeu. 7 avril 2005, 06:34
Message #8

Inscrit : 21 oct. 04
Lieu : Oshawa - CA
Membre no 53,654

Hey TacoMan, I am doing similar types of recording. I am using the Tascam 122 and Tracktion. Tracktion works great for me and is also inexpensive.

Roneon wink.gif

+Quote Post
pmidi
posté jeu. 7 avril 2005, 13:35
Message #9

Inscrit : 14 mars 03
Lieu : Monroe, NY - US
Membre no 14,346

Save yourself from PC anguish. Just get a Mac, preferably a new one with Garageband 2 preinstalled. It's a great entry level package (notation, loops, useful fx and instruments...) and it works. The Alesis looks cool for the money but bear in mind that it does not do 24/96k sampling, which may not be an issue for you. I'd recommend a Presonus Firepod or Firebox since they have the sound, 24/96k plus they are Firewire plug and play on a Mac.

+Quote Post
TacoMan
posté jeu. 7 avril 2005, 15:29
Message #10

Membre no 63,569

Thanks for all the great information.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Edirol UA-25 (~$240) and Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 (~$150) combo. I've decided to stick with the PC for at least a while because I'm going to end up spending $500 plus just to get going with the interface, software, mic, mic stand, etc and don't want to drop the coin for the Mac (let me re-phrase that... my wife would prefer that I not spend the additional cash for a Mac right now). Therefore, I'm hoping to find components that are compatible with both PC and Mac, so that they'll transfer later on.

I will definitely look into the Presonus Firebox and the other suggestions posted here. If anyone has feedback regarding the Edirol interface or Cakewalk GTP 3 package, please post.

Thanks again to all,
Taco

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 27 avril 2024, 21:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008