MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seagate 7200.11 Es.2, Maxtor Diamond 22, Firmware issue to update
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 16 janv. 2009, 05:49
Message #1

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

People with 7200.11 hard drives from Seagate should be aware there's a current issue. The disks get locked into protection mode and then are "dead". There should be a firmware update to care of this issue before it appears.

The faulty firmware is SD15. Until a fix is released, avoid powering up and down the drive, back up elsewhere.

This thread centralize all the data about the working/non working drives.

The related forum at Seagate

A press realease from seagate is expected today.

Gosh, I've got at least two three of them…

Ce message a été modifié par lepetitmartien - jeu. 12 févr. 2009, 03:50.
Raison de l'édition : title

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 16 janv. 2009, 23:03
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

Seagate current official anouncement

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté jeu. 22 janv. 2009, 16:17
Message #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

Right now, this is how it is:

- there's no working patches still, seagate trials were as bad if not worse than the original firmwares.
- remember, the drives are "ok", the data is still here, it's only a software issue so it'll be fixed.
- all 7200.11 and equivalents build until december 08 included are concerned
- there's a way to unbrick the bricked ones rather geeky but for this, I advise to follow the threads on msfn.org (the forum seems down, it'll come back)

Until there's a WORKING firmware… Don't power down the drive if you can and back up!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 23 janv. 2009, 02:46
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

And there seems to be a few firmware updates up and running at Seagate for ST3500320AS, ST3500620AS, ST3500820AS, ST3640330AS, ST3640530AS, ST3750330AS, ST3750630AS, ST31000340AS.
For other models like ES2, check Seagate website for the procedure (got to write to seagate).
Check carefully the model and firmware version BEFORE applying, as it can brick your drive if applied on the wrong model!

How to burn the ISO CD

If you want to have the geeky inside story about what happened, it's on slashdot

Note that I have not yet gone the full road so this is all the input I can give for now. The Firmware CD will work in intel desktop, provided it's burned the right way, the intel mac is intel and you can set the drive inside the computer on the internal SATA bus. One day, maybe Seagate and others will find out there's enclosures, people not running Windows or people not having a desktop computer but a laptop (I have G3 BW, PWM G5 and macbook here… so screwed)

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté jeu. 12 févr. 2009, 03:52
Message #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

How to proceed on Mac here for mac pro and intel iMac

And the walkthrough using the freeDOS CD

--------------------

+Quote Post
azusa
posté mar. 17 févr. 2009, 01:55
Message #6

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 août 02
Membre no 7,031

I have an affected drive (ST31000340NS), but so far there is no problem whatsoever.
I'm on MacPro OS 10.4.11.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 17 févr. 2009, 02:27
Message #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

Have you verified on Seagate website it is in the ominous series (enter the serial number in the utility at seagate, link "Seagate current official announcement" up here)?

Only some series in the specified models have issues. And it's easier to care of before the bug shows… On my 3 potential disks, only one is really affected, as it's Murphy's all along, it's a system hard drive…

--------------------

+Quote Post
azusa
posté jeu. 19 févr. 2009, 03:18
Message #8

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 août 02
Membre no 7,031

Yes, mine is in that batch. But everything is fine so I'm not going to do anything.
The disk is for VI. samples only which I can always re-install.
I think most of problems are from PC.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 20 févr. 2009, 00:30
Message #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

The trouble is once it is bricked, either you have to send it to Seagate, which cares of the unbricking for free and send back on a new drive, or you have to unbrick the HD with a rs232 cable modified on a pc and it's a little geeky.

Now, if your disk has been always and/or heavily used (like mine) there's almost no risk the issue appears as it's likely it passed the bug point of the 320th log entry.

I'm still preparing my back ups, as I plan to install new systems on both the MacBook and the G5 (the G5 has the infamous disk as its system HD) as I have to tidy up thing anyway before flashing the disk. I hope to be able to do so net week at a member's wintel pc. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 25 févr. 2009, 02:24
Message #10

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

I've managed at last to have a go at moving stuff, formating, installed a new system and imported accounts, I just have to extract the drive and I'll be able to to do the update thanks to a member with a PC. I'll get back once it's done

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 18 avril 2024, 12:07
- © 440 Forums 2011