MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back In Time With A B&w G3/400?, Maybe old software is the way to go?
squishedtoad
posté ven. 6 févr. 2004, 02:46
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 24 janv. 04
Lieu : Id - US
Membre no 33,931

Hi, I'm new to the concept of computer-as-DAW, and delving into this stuff has been a major headache!

Here is my situation:

Blue and White G3, 400mhz, OS 10.2.8

USB Quattro Audio/MIDI interface

Outboard hardware synths, mixer, effects

Here is all I want my computer to do:

Sequence external hardware synths with a decent piano-roll style sequencer.

Record 1 or 2 audio tracks at a time (The synths, being controlled by the sequencer)

Control basic levels, panning of audio tracks, and be able to copy audio.

Send audio tracks out for processing by external effects.

I DON'T expect my computer to do any virtual instruments, audio effects, or even EQ.

I'm having a terrible time finding any software that meets these simple (I thought) requirements and runs well on my computer!

I've looked at all the major programs. The new Cubase stuff has VERY high system requirements. Protools is too expensive. Logic is a possibility, but $299 is a lot for what I would use it for, also I have my doubts it would run well on my computer. I tried Intuem, but it was unsatisfactory

I was really hoping that Tracktion would be a solution, but the MIDI seems not to work with my machine.

Anyway sorry to bring up all this OSX stuff in the OS9 forum. My question right now is this: In 1999 my computer was top-of-the-line. In 1999 people were using Macs to make music, and I believe they were able to do those simple things I stated as what I want to be able to do.

Maybe what I should do is go back to OS9, (It would have to be 9.1 to work with my audio interface)
And find an old version of a program that would run well and do the basic things I want it to do. Is anyone else doing something similar? Am I just confused? Does this make sense? I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

-max
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté sam. 7 févr. 2004, 04:38
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

I've got the same one, in Panther, but I will not even try music software on it… save in OS9.

you're a bit slower and the GUI is eating your CPU like mad, it can be used for internet and little things, but nothing really serious like desktop publishing or music. Quartz is too heavy.

Check for a 9.04 or 9.22 and software accordingly it'll run much more smoothly. If you decide to keep an OSX somewhere… Don't use your OS9 for classic (remove the "classic" named files in the system folder) and keep OS9 in an other partition.

You can also check for CPU upgrades, the ones frm gygadesign are the more music friendly.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
squishedtoad
posté dim. 8 févr. 2004, 22:16
Message #3

Lieu : Id - US
Membre no 33,931

(thanks for the reply)

mm.. I was afraid of that. Well, I guess I am going back to 9 then. I've thought about CPU upgrades, but it seems to make more sense for me to just save for a used G4 with a newer Bus and whatnot.

Too bad Apple doesn't make a "minimal Quartz", eh, without the fancy appearance.. but I guess that wouldn't help the sales of new machines wink.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 13 févr. 2004, 04:46
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

QUOTE (squishedtoad @ Feb 8 2004, 22:16)
Too bad Apple doesn't make a "minimal Quartz", eh, without the fancy appearance.. but I guess that wouldn't help the sales of new machines wink.gif

sigh… sad.gif

I DO agree sad.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Metro SE
posté ven. 13 févr. 2004, 06:39
Message #5

Inscrit : 01 juil. 03
Lieu : Framingham - US
Membre no 20,523

QUOTE (squishedtoad @ Feb 5 2004, 20:46)
Here is all I want my computer to do:

Sequence external hardware synths with a decent piano-roll style sequencer.

Record 1 or 2 audio tracks at a time (The synths, being controlled by the sequencer)

Control basic levels, panning of audio tracks, and be able to copy audio.

Send audio tracks out for processing by external effects.

I DON'T expect my computer to do any virtual instruments, audio effects, or even EQ.

Max,

Metro SE ($69) or Metro LX ($129) will do all those things plus perhaps a VST instrument on your computer. While you should easily be able to get 1 or 2 audio tracks, your audio will probably be limited by the speed of the USB bus. You could always use built-in though if you need more audio tracks.

+Quote Post
braj
posté ven. 13 févr. 2004, 10:52
Message #6

Inscrit : 08 janv. 04
Lieu : San Francisco - US
Membre no 32,729

I'll second Metro SE. If you find you still can't do what you need, you could run it in OS 9 as well.

+Quote Post
Synthetik
posté jeu. 26 févr. 2004, 23:14
Message #7

Inscrit : 10 juil. 02
Lieu : Minneapolis - US
Membre no 5,668

The B&W is a great tool, but I agree, I would stick with OS 9.2 or earlier depending. I had an old performa that died on me, (and the thing was only 12 years old) but I got an old 350mhz iMac that I downgraded to 8.6 and run MasterTraks Pro on. OSX is a beautiful OS but it is a CPU hog when it comes to older machines.
blink.gif

--------------------
BING BING BLEEP ERRRRRRR[I]

+Quote Post
vape
posté jeu. 26 févr. 2004, 23:46
Message #8

Lieu : Norwalk - US
Membre no 33,981

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore.html

this would be a solution. I think I'll try it out. wink.gif

+Quote Post
gkdoty
posté ven. 27 févr. 2004, 00:31
Message #9

Inscrit : 18 déc. 02
Lieu : Lithia Springs - US
Membre no 10,159

I AGREE THAT METRO WILL FILL YOUR NEEDS.
I AM RUNNING METRO 6 ON A LOMBARD G3/333MZ WITH AN OXYGEN 8 FOR MIDI INTERFACE AND USING INTERNAL-DLS SOUNDFONTS AND VST PLUGINS FOR AUDIO SYNTHS
I AM USING OSX 10.2.8 W/320 MEG OF MEMORY

I THINK METRO WOULD RUN OK ON YOUR B & W

GARY

--------------------
1.25mhz MacMini--OS X 10.4.3-Metro 6.3.3--M-Audio keystation 49e--Oxygen 8 Controller--M-audio Firewire Solo--Fernandez Strat--Fender Jazz Bass--Fender Precision bass--Epiphone Acoustic--Roland MA-12 Micro Powered Monitors

+Quote Post
braj
posté ven. 27 févr. 2004, 01:48
Message #10

Inscrit : 08 janv. 04
Lieu : San Francisco - US
Membre no 32,729

QUOTE (gkdoty @ Feb 26 2004, 23:31)
I AGREE THAT METRO WILL FILL YOUR NEEDS.
I AM RUNNING METRO 6 ON A LOMBARD G3/333MZ WITH AN OXYGEN 8 FOR MIDI INTERFACE AND USING INTERNAL-DLS SOUNDFONTS AND VST PLUGINS FOR AUDIO SYNTHS
I AM USING OSX 10.2.8 W/320 MEG OF MEMORY

I THINK METRO WOULD RUN OK ON YOUR B & W

GARY

Metro would work, especially if you're wise about the sounds you choose, using soundfonts whenever possible.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 17 sept. 2024, 01:32
- © MacMusic 1997-2008