MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Me Get Set-up
aptmunich
posté mer. 21 avril 2004, 14:55
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 02 avril 04
Lieu : Gutild - DE
Membre no 40,050

Hi i'm new to recording in general and am even newer to macs.

I have previously done some gentle recording and mixing/editing using maxix audio studio 7, but haven't done much else.

I ordered the iBook 12" 1Ghz recently (had ordered the 800Mhz version last friday but thank god they had problems with my bank details so i'm getting the faster one!)

When i get the iBook i would like to record a few demos with guitar and vocals.
The guitar is hooked up to a line 6 pod 2.0 and we currently use a shure microphone (forgotten the exact model, it's the one everyone has smile.gif for the vocals.

Now the questions:

1) The vocals are fed through a Peavey power mixer, does this count as a 'preamp'? I'm assuming it does as the preamp is mainly to boost the microphone signal for recording, have i got this right?

2) What is the best solution for getting a line in connection to the ibook. I've seen products like the tascam u22 and the m-audio audiophile usb box, but they are all fairly expensive.

Could i get away using something like griffin's iMic? Or can you recommend something up to $100?

As for software, will Garageband be enough to get me started? I don't need a midi sequencer (never bothered with midi...) just something simple to record and do a bit of basic editing/mixing.

3) I'm going to be using shure e3c in ear monitors, anything i should beware of when mixing with headphones and not speakers?

4) Can i use the compressor/limiter in the line 6 pod 2.0 (designed for guitars) to compress vocals?

Any other pointers would be gratefully recieved!!!

Thanks

apt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté jeu. 22 avril 2004, 09:32
Message #2

Inscrit : 05 déc. 03
Lieu : Memphis - US
Membre no 30,424

with the tascam us-122 you would not need to use the peavey as a preamp. it has preamps built into the the unit. it also has phantom power (not needed by the dynamic shure you are using) for condensor mics.
you were asking about a compressor. the tascam us-122 has inserts for each of the two channels. you would plug the line out of the Line 6 guitar unit into a channel on the tascam, and us a tip/ring cable to plug the condensor into the insert of the channel you are wanting to compress on the tascam us-122.

how that does not sound to confusing.

happy recording,
editbrain

Ce message a été modifié par editbrain - jeu. 22 avril 2004, 09:33.

+Quote Post
aptmunich
posté jeu. 22 avril 2004, 09:56
Message #3

Rookie

Membre no 40,050

with the tascam us-122 you would not need to use the peavey as a preamp. it has preamps built into the the unit. it also has phantom power (not needed by the dynamic shure you are using) for condensor mics.

Thanks for that tip, that would mean i could record wherever i wanted, not just in our bandroom where the peavey preamp lives smile.gif

Any thoughts on compatibility of the tascam with osx panther? I've read the sticky in the interface forum, but that only cover problems arising from running multiple recording software?

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté jeu. 22 avril 2004, 17:33
Message #4

Membre no 30,424

i am using it now. 10.3 with tascam us-122. just get the driver off there site. www.tascam.com
if you get it don't even mess with the cd. go straight to there site, download the driver, install it without the tascam plugged in, shutdown the computer, plug the tascam in, turn the computer on.
the light will not come on the tascam until you have logged into your account. so if you have to login and you see the mac os x splash screen, but do not see the tascam light on don't worry about it. it will come on when you login to your account.

yeah. you can be totally portable. i take my 12" and tascam to meetings w/mics, to musicians houses around the city, to independant movie filming. it is a cool thing for the money, and the pre's are really good. the downfall is the headphone amp in the tascam is really quite.

happy recording,
editbrain

+Quote Post
aptmunich
posté sam. 24 avril 2004, 13:13
Message #5

Rookie

Membre no 40,050

Well i use Shure e3c's with my pc at the moment, and they're so sensitive that i barely need the volume on at all, so the headphone amp on the u22 should be enough i think wink.gif

What do you guys think of something like the imic from griffin technologies? Would that be of any use at all or would i just get fed up and buy something better anyway?

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté sam. 24 avril 2004, 14:40
Message #6

Membre no 30,424

don't short change yourself with something like that. if you get the iMic you can kiss any outboard effects goodbye. i wish that the iMic would just disappear. it was mainly made for the iBook users who do not have a line in. Not to be a studio interface.

editbrain

+Quote Post
aptmunich
posté sam. 24 avril 2004, 14:59
Message #7

Rookie

Membre no 40,050

Ok i think i get the message smile.gif

But can't i just add the effects further up in the signal chain? mic-> preamp->effect->imic?

But the preamp in the u22 makes it seem like a better solution anyway !

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté sam. 24 avril 2004, 15:44
Message #8

Membre no 30,424

you could i suppose, but your limited to an 1/8 input on the iMic. with the tascam you have XLR or 1/4 in. which is standard. you have inserts on each channel. you have a direct monitor so you can deplete latency. I am not trying to be a hard head about the tascam. i am just trying to get you something you will be happier with and create better music.

editbrain

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 27 juil. 2024, 09:43
- © MacMusic 1997-2008