MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Griffin Imic Good Option?
wilfred
posté mar. 8 juil. 2003, 10:34
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 06 juil. 03
Lieu : Amsterdam - NL
Membre no 20,856

You might laugh at me but I'll just ask it :-):
I've got an iBook that I use very intensively and I wonder what is the best way to record my band sessions onto it. My dad bought me an iMic for my birthday one month ago which I haven't used for recording yet but just for the fact that it output's audio better than the onboard-audiocard in the iBook and it's only about 35 euro's. Appart from this I play with my band every week and we record the songs everytime on tape. This process however is quite timeconsuming because then it has to be transported to the computer to make mp3's of it (which is basically the idea so the entire band can have the songs at home). As the iMic has an input option I wondered if it would be sufficient to provide some reasonable input quality. All the sound in the studio is captured by two mic's which I could convert into one minijack and then into the iMic. To make a long story short: Is the iMic capable of recording that with reasonable quality?

Sorry for the long post.

Regards,
Wilfred Boelhouwer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
calden
posté mar. 8 juil. 2003, 16:36
Message #2

Inscrit : 27 juin 03
Lieu : Spokane - US
Membre no 20,268

Wilfred:

I have an iBook dual USB 500 mhz. I bought an iMic to record into it, and couldn't get it to record without adding some clicks every 10 seconds or so. I emailed Griffin and they said that on the iBook I would need to upgrade to OS 9.2.2 (I was using 9.1). I upgraded but continued to have the problem. It apparently is something to do with the iBook's manner of writing to the disk. It's frustrating when the iMic advertising claims success.

Your iBook may be a newer version (mine bought two years ago.) I'd check Griffin's website - I think it was their troubleshooting section - to see if there are any potential compatibility problems.

If so there are other devices out there that are basically the same thing - audio to USB - that might work better.

Carlos

+Quote Post
wilfred
posté mar. 8 juil. 2003, 16:54
Message #3

Inscrit : 06 juil. 03
Lieu : Amsterdam - NL
Membre no 20,856

Hey Calden, thank you for your reply. I'm running Os X so I hope that will do as for compatibility. Do know a good (freeware)app for Os X for simple music-recording.

Regards,
Wilfred Boelhouwer

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 8 juil. 2003, 17:07
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

To get the best out the iMic you should look for the 3rd party driver available for it, make a search on imic for eventual hints wink.gif

The commercial driver for the imic is there

Browse here with the search tool first before buying the driver, it helps for the lattency thru monitoring, I can't tell for your problems.

happy reading tongue.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Synthetic
posté mar. 8 juil. 2003, 21:11
Message #5

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 25 juin 01
Lieu : Springfield - US
Membre no 1,082

I would not recommend as I have seen too many complaints and seen many users who ended up buying another interface later on because of their dislike for it. If you do get one... look for used one on ebay maybe so you don't waste much $$$. wink.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté mer. 9 juil. 2003, 11:26
Message #6

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

I wouldn't recommend the iMic for recording either. Judging by other users' reports, you'll only experience repeated pain, frustration and heartache. Spend around £150 or $200/€200 and get a semi-pro dedicated audio recording interface. Loads to choose from. Much happier all round.

As for software, if you can boot into OS 9, try Pro Tools Free or Logic Fun or Cubasis or Metro LE. Do you want multitrack or simple two-track stereo? For $50, my favourite is Sound Studio, a really cool two-track audio editing package, OS X native, very stable. Or Bias Peak LE is OK, too - you can use VST FX with that. But I still prefer Sound Studio.

+Quote Post
benny_ill
posté jeu. 10 juil. 2003, 11:48
Message #7

Inscrit : 04 mars 03
Lieu : Manchester - UK
Membre no 13,660

i use an imic with my powerbook g4 and the Propagamma USB-ASIO driver (www.usb-audio.com) and it works great for me. a lot of people have a pop at the imic because of the audio stuttering, but this is easily solved; make sure the laptop's low-power modes are disabled (energy saver control panel), connect the imic direct to the laptop's usb port, not a hub, and most importantly USE THE MAINS, DONT RELY ON BATTERY ALONE! this is what coused the stuutering audio for me. wilf, what software are you using to record? if it uses asio drivers, get the propagamma driver - its about $50 but its well worth it. better latency than many 'pro' audio interface drivers. i get 7ms - nice!

+Quote Post
scientificbox
posté ven. 11 juil. 2003, 23:43
Message #8

Inscrit : 25 mai 03
Lieu : Montague - US
Membre no 18,485

can't help you with the imic, but spark me is a great little osX freeware app. www.tcelectronic.com/SparkME

+Quote Post
DrDan
posté mar. 26 août 2003, 13:27
Message #9

Inscrit : 26 août 03
Lieu : Birmingham - UK
Membre no 23,634

Hi

I had the same problem, recording band rehearsals.

Have a Griffin imic, using it with soundstation from www.felttip.com on a powerbook G4 550 (previously on an ibook) - works fine for basic recordings, but not for demo-quality material, as you obviously can't adjust the mix. Mic placement is everything. Soundstation seems solid, shareware and not too expensive.

Now struggling with logic...... Had it a month and still not made a sound! blink.gif

Good luck!

DrDan

+Quote Post
Synthetic
posté mar. 26 août 2003, 13:41
Message #10

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 25 juin 01
Lieu : Springfield - US
Membre no 1,082

QUOTE (DrDan @ Aug 26 2003, 06:27)
Now struggling with logic...... Had it a month and still not made a sound! blink.gif

Logic is a beast to master... you might want to consider one or two of the videos they have out to help learn more about it. I had one that I got free with my Logic and it was very helpful as explaining the use of the environment and how to setup midi. If interested... look on Samash.com for the videos. wink.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 16:26
- © MacMusic 1997-2008