MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mini Disc To Mac, Transfering audio
red_wedge
posté mar. 6 juil. 2004, 17:15
Message #11

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 févr. 03
Lieu : Rovaniemi - FI
Membre no 12,880

QUOTE (Dimora @ Jul 6 2004, 13:06)
Anyone want to help start an opensource project to make a mac software for USB transfer? tongue.gif

such a project already exists, but it's not been going anywhere for ages:

http://www.sorted.org/~pete/Xmd/faq.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dimora
posté mar. 6 juil. 2004, 17:31
Message #12

Rookie

Inscrit : 19 mai 03
Lieu : Lewisberry - US
Membre no 18,134

But that's only for analoge and SP/DIF connections, my beef is with the lack of USB transfer particularly for those of us without SP/DIF capabilities tongue.gif

Thanks for the post though red_wedge!

+Quote Post
midiwife
posté mer. 7 juil. 2004, 10:28
Message #13

Rookie

Inscrit : 07 oct. 02
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 8,287

Hi there, yes this digital transfer is my main aim as well.

I've been eagerly awaiting the new HiMD recorders from Sony so I can transfer my field recordings straight to my mac without the need for an intermediate analogue transfer. My old Sharp MD has no optical out so the 410 option is no good in this respect.
My solution was to buy an iRiver i-HP 120 MP3 player and recorder. It can record at CD quality, is a 20Gb HD, an FM tuner and has an internal mic. It also has optical in and out and connects to a computer via USB. Sounds incredible right?

Sadly though, the recordings aren't great. There are dropouts every so often, very small but they sound as clicks. Plus, recording from the inbuilt mic is useless as the drive makes a racket. Plus, the mic input is for the supplied (pretty crap) mic. Using my Sony ECM Z90 (I think - the recommended stereo mic for walkmans etc) the level is very low. Plus, there are no record level meters. So, all in all, it's pretty poor for the use I bought it.

Also, although it connects via USB, the software for cataloguing MP3s etc on it is PC only! This is a real pain.

BUT... If you connect it to a Mac, it just appears as a separate external HD (I've only done this under OSX.2.8). That way, you can just open the disk icon and drag your files across to the mac. It's not a sophisticated method but it works just fine. In fact, I use it extensively now as a portable 20Gb HD to swap files from work (on a pc) to my mac at home.

So, my feeling is that if the Sony HiMD machines conform to the Mass USB storage protocol, we mac users should be able to just connect them to our machines and drag files back and forth. As far as I understand it, Sony have said they will work as removable HDs as well so we should be ok.

If anyone knows different, I'd be glad to know before I get my hopes up too much. I love MDs for their sheer reliability and ease of use. Plus, they're discrete!

Regards to all.

+Quote Post
Dimora
posté jeu. 8 juil. 2004, 20:11
Message #14

Rookie

Membre no 18,134

QUOTE (midiwife @ Jul 7 2004, 09:28)
So, my feeling is that if the Sony HiMD machines conform to the Mass USB storage protocol, we mac users should be able to just connect them to our machines and drag files back and forth. As far as I understand it, Sony have said they will work as removable HDs as well so we should be ok.

I was thinking the same thing, but then you have cases where some digital cameras with flash cartridges and USB connections can't be recognized as drives by the OS. So it makes you wonder if the HiMDs would work the same way or turn out in our favor. I'm probably flawed in this thinking but that's just my experience. Don't think we'll really find out until someone shells out the $300 for one of them though tongue.gif

+Quote Post
aut207
posté mar. 13 juil. 2004, 08:56
Message #15

Inscrit : 13 juil. 04
Lieu : Gulfport - US
Membre no 46,833

Hi, I'm new to the mac world and i read all the previous messages. I am too looking for a way to transfer my music from MD to my mac. i have a newer MD player which connects via usb but the mac doesn't read it or it doesn't show up as being connected. can you transfer the music into the itunes program or is there any other software available to download. i'm still learning how the macs work. smile.gif thank you.

+Quote Post
Dimora
posté mar. 13 juil. 2004, 15:20
Message #16

Rookie

Membre no 18,134

QUOTE (aut207 @ Jul 13 2004, 07:56)
Hi, I'm new to the mac world and i read all the previous messages. I am too looking for a way to transfer my music  from MD to my mac. i have a newer MD player which connects via usb but the mac doesn't read it or it doesn't show up as being connected. can you transfer the music into the itunes program or is there any other software available to download. i'm still learning how the macs work.  smile.gif thank you.

Well folks, there's our answer tongue.gif

aut207, you have one of the HiMDs that just came out I assume? It looks like the OS won't recognize the MD as an external drive (of sorts) Unless someone makes a third party program that will allow for USB transfer for Macs we're pretty much out of luck sad.gif

If you have an audio recorder with the proper cables you could connect the out (it's digital yes?) to the recorder and get it to your computer that way. Other than that....we're hosed unsure.gif

+Quote Post
divan
posté mer. 14 juil. 2004, 07:31
Message #17

Rookie

Inscrit : 29 févr. 04
Lieu : Gradec - AT
Membre no 37,222

this is what sony deliveres with the hi-md

Supplied Accessories

• MDR-027LP Headphones
• 1 (one) HM-D1G Hi-MD disc
• SonicStage® Software CD-ROM with MD Simple Burner Application
• USB Cable

i presume that the application is WIN-only
... well sony as is

go kick your local sony-dealer for mac-software
(they should have anything if they want to stand up against the ipod)

greeetz

--------------------
-dv-

+Quote Post
Dimora
posté mer. 14 juil. 2004, 13:47
Message #18

Rookie

Membre no 18,134

I had asked them that too when I initially inquired about the software. They said it's not likely there will be a mac compatible program. I am guessing for legal reasons seeing that their Sony Vaio uses Windows. Their analysts must think that they'll lose profit if it was for both platforms....which is preposterous...increased consumer audience = increased revenue. Afterall, iPods are for Windows too.....silly rabbits...lol rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
aut207
posté sam. 17 juil. 2004, 05:19
Message #19

Inscrit : 13 juil. 04
Lieu : Gulfport - US
Membre no 46,833

sad.gif well, that's a bummer, but thanks for the information. i was really looking fwd to transferring all my music over. Guess we'll just have to wait.........

+Quote Post
silsurf
posté lun. 19 juil. 2004, 07:32
Message #20

Inscrit : 19 juil. 04
Lieu : Santa Monica - US
Membre no 47,204

Hello,

I am new to MD as well.

I read through the thread and it all makes sense. I ordered an iMic and I think I will be in good shape for my needs.

I do have a question about my MD player.

It is the Sony Net MD Walkman MZ-N707 type R

I purchase dit used without a manual, so I was hoping to get some thgouths on the port layout.

1. There is a standard stereo mini headphone jack.

2. Directly next to it is a small flat input I have never seen, looks almost like a mini USB

3. There is "Mic (Plug in Power)"

4. Line In (optical)

5. Last one is the Sony to USB, I don't know what it is called, but it is the same port as my Canon Digital Camera and Palm Palm Pilot, with a USB on the other.

Am I correct in assuming that the headphone jack is the only way I can get data off the unit?

Any and all thoughts appreiciated.

Henry

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - lundi 29 avril 2024, 03:32
- © MacMusic 1997-2008