MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G4 Powerbook And Os X, any suggestions?
benjones
posté jeu. 27 mars 2003, 00:25
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 24 mars 03
Lieu : Oberlin - US
Membre no 14,914

Hello,

I have just bought a g4 powerbook with the intent of setting up a mobile studio. I will be using it mainly to multitrack live instruments, at least that has priority over MIDI input (i eventually will use midi). I couldn't imagine needing more than 2 simultaneous inputs. I was hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with an interface with these general specs.

Like the m-audio duo, audiophile, or premobile
Edirol ua3d, ua5, ua20
the emagic ones
or the mbox

etc.....

I would really like to be able to work completely in OS X. also, I haven't bought any software yet -- so I am hoping to find a hardware-software match that will work right from the get-go!

Please let me know if you have a setup that you are happy with -- or not!

thanks for any input
ben

Ce message a été modifié par benjones - jeu. 27 mars 2003, 00:41.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Claudio
posté jeu. 27 mars 2003, 01:02
Message #2

Inscrit : 22 févr. 02
Lieu : Adelaide
Membre no 3,538

Hi
I don't have a Powerbook but I've just bought a Power Mac desktop G4, a Digi001 and upgraded my PTLE to v.6 which is OSX native and enabled to use the dual processors. It runs just fine.

I've got a large amount of legace/pre-OSX stuff and things are looking a bit dire on that front. The main drama is that the new Macs don't boot into OS9 therefore every pre-OSX app that I own has to run in Classic. OMS and MIDI stuff has problems.

I've bought a GeeThree Stealth serial port but this hasn't given me a great deal of joy either.

Since getting my G4 I've done a fair bit of trawling the net and all I can say is "BE CAREUL". I'd probably suggest:

• buy a USB MIDI interface and make sure that it definately works with OSX. I've been seeing good things about the M-Audio and the Edirol (check out manufacturer's web site but also check out forums for user feedback)
• buying Dididesign gear, it's pretty safe, but you pay a premium price. PT6 is really cool and effective (I've used it for years) but don't know about the MBox compatibility with Powerbooks. Digi's site at http://www.digidesign.com will give you the info you need

. smile.gif

--------------------
claudio (composer)

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté jeu. 27 mars 2003, 10:08
Message #3

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

hi, benjones

All the interfaces you mention are fine, but...

...they're all USB. Which is OK, but once you have a certain number of tracks, Firewire is better. This usually means a lot more money - MOTU 828 or 896, Presonus Firestation etc - although M-Audio have their 410 Firewire interface coming soon for £349. 4 in, 10 out, Midi and digital connections etc. Looks nice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the drivers aren't complete crap (a reasonable concern given the history of M-Audio stuff to date) it'll be a million seller.

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
bigheaven
posté ven. 28 mars 2003, 00:11
Message #4

Inscrit : 23 mai 02
Lieu : Burwood - AU
Membre no 4,785

Hi,
I use a MOTU 896 with the iBook 500 and Logic Platinum. Works fine in OSx but i still work mainly in OS 9 because all my VST plugs etc dont go to OSx.
If you are mainly doing live recording then most likley IMHO you will need more than two inputs. eg, stereo micing a guitar and using a room mic or if you record a desk mix of a live performance it's very conveniant to subgroup drums and get individuel traks on other instruments esp vocals. chose the 896 because it has trim pots so input gain can be adjusted easily while things are on the fly. It also has its own preamps,so you dont need a mixer to record.Just mics ,laptop and the 896.Another interface is the Metric Halo In Out.
Hope ths helps

--------------------
qaws12

+Quote Post
bbmozee
posté lun. 31 mars 2003, 04:22
Message #5

Rookie

Inscrit : 29 nov. 02
Lieu : Akron - US
Membre no 9,688

I'll say it again - MBox/ProTools LE 6 solved all my basic mobile TiBook recording needs. It just works! Gotta love it - it's the OS X audio monster. Check it out. cool.gif

+Quote Post
littlewonder
posté mar. 1 avril 2003, 11:05
Message #6

Inscrit : 26 juil. 02
Lieu : Bruxelles - BE
Membre no 6,257

Hi,

just one thing : you mention the edirol ua-3d.
let me say it is not a good choice (in my opinion).

this module is very cheap, and doesn't have asio drivers (it doesn't work with cubase sx!!!).

i bought one, and one day later asked to have an ua-5 instead ...

thomas.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 2 avril 2003, 14:40
Message #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

From the edirol site:
"Driver available on the MacOS X install CD."

The drivers for the UA-3D are there… rolleyes.gif
(I don't say they work, make breakfast and read the newspaper for you, but you have an idea where they are… huh.gif

Now can someone tell me WHY IF THEY EXIST ARE THEY NOT ON THE EDIROL SITE!

Damn! angry.gif

Now in interfaces:

-M-audio has a record, but it's a bit early to really tell on the OSX drivers
-Edirol stuff: a few FW thing cool to come, worth looking at.
-Emagic/MOTU no problem (still need some feedback on MOTU midi interfaces drivers are brand new) but both are reliable companies.
-Digi Mbox cool little thing, but you step into the 4 walled world of Digidesign and it can't be used at the moment by any third party software (and seem to stay that way)

I'd say choose first if you want both Midi and audio in the same box or not it'll clear the matter fast.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
littlewonder
posté mer. 2 avril 2003, 14:47
Message #8

Inscrit : 26 juil. 02
Lieu : Bruxelles - BE
Membre no 6,257

yes,

the ua-3d is recognized under mac os x.
but as there is no asio driver for this module, it is not fully working (e.g. with cubase sx, that do not recognize the input of the ua-3d).
(i tested it, so i confirm)

for more information, here is a link to another topic where it is explained (and confirmed by edirol support) click here

have a nice day,
thomas.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté jeu. 3 avril 2003, 05:08
Message #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

It's up to Edirol to provide such a driver, or a CoreAudio driver fully working. If it doesn't work Edirol can say whatever they want it's THEIR problem.

hmmhhm at least one driver that needs an update tongue.gif cool.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 14:14
- © MacMusic 1997-2008