MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minimoog Voyager, Access Virus Ti, Or Vsynth Xt?
mortalengines
posté lun. 20 nov. 2006, 02:17
Message #1

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 08 mai 05
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 65,373

Hi, I am kind of starting to look at hardware synths now that I have started running into CPU issues using Ableton Live & Reaktor & other plugs. I figure that I could use a Live Synth & Ableton has a much easier time with the more audio/midi loops you run (as opposed to VSTs). If I was gonna go for hardware, one of the 3 above would be my choice. It seems like each has its own niche & I am kind of gravitating toward the Moog since...well....it's a Moog but, it is still just a monophonic synth when you get right down to it. Access virus seems to have a pretty nice synth & I understand it will operate as a multi-track synth/ VST plug in as well (with all of the processing going on in the hardware, but I don't know if the "sound" will still be as cool 5 to 10 years down the road. Same for the V-synth, in addition to it being of limited polyphony & not really offering any multichannel support (but very unque in sound) & I am not really even sure if Roland is going to put out a better version soon (it's already discontinued the original V-synth). Any input/experiences from people who operate in both the hardware & software worlds? Would it maybe just be better to buy a Macbook Pro (I am using a G4 powerbook right now)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 20 nov. 2006, 09:55
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Well, the difficulty is you kind of mix three different beasts.

- Voyager: a real analogue, monophonic, potentially modular, performance synth. Lots of extension possibilities, it may be monophonic but as a controller it is poly wink.gif And it screams to be played.
- Virus, a virtual analogue polysynth, one of the best sounding, with a good interface now.
- V-synth, maybe the only Roland synth worth looking at right now, now I don't know it well.

The real question is, do you want more an all rounder or a more focused sound wise, something with more on the typical side or more on the mainstream side?

Also, I think you should envision other options like the:
- Moog Music Little Phatty (analogue monosynth)
- Nord Modular G2 (virtual analogue modular/polysynth)
- Alesis Andromeda A6 (analogue polysynth, less typical than Moog but way more versatile)

As I said in the other thread, you have to decide if you want to replace part of your plug-ins or compliment your sound (which I think is the better way). Do you want to overlap? Do you want to have real analogue? Do you want versatility or typicality? Do you want a synth for itself or an übercontroller? Does the quality of the synth finish counts for you?

And beware, I'm an analogue freak wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
mortalengines
posté lun. 27 nov. 2006, 04:22
Message #3

Advanced Member

Membre no 65,373

Well, here is what happens generally speaking. I tend to run as many loops as I can while just keeping a couple of plugs on busses (like delays) & often I'll want to add a synth line or something but at that point, my CPU load is pretty well maxed out & running another virtual synth is out of the question. As a live tool it would be cool to have something a little more tactile & over the top to add to the experience of the live event. The synths I mentioned previously not only sound cool but they also are open to process incoming audio, which I feel would also enhance my music making ability. I am mostly trying to get some input from people who play one of the three aforementioned synths for both positive & negative feedback (limitations) regarding them.

I think I can tell what you're getting at regarding the sound I am looking for. I want a BIG, ROUND sound in a synth (& a lot of variety at that in regards to leads & basses & that wonderful kind of Tangerine Dream/Heldon sequence thing that I seem to be able to listen to for hours at a stretch). I am maybe a little less interested in atmospherics as I get that fix with Reaktor 5, Absynth & whatnot.

Also any recommended user forum links for any of the three would be cool as well.

Ce message a été modifié par mortalengines - lun. 27 nov. 2006, 04:30.

+Quote Post
fishboisfo
posté mar. 23 sept. 2008, 12:49
Message #4

Inscrit : 10 juil. 05
Lieu : San Francisco - US
Membre no 67,641

I think You'd be extremely happy with a TI or even a snow from access. I don't own one, but a friend of mine does -- a Polar -- and I salivate every time I go to his house to create loops with it.
There are big, lush, lovely round leads that pulse and modulate out of it; great presets to play with, but even more fun just doing your own thing.
I have tried to emulate it with virology and a few other Reason 4 combinator / sample sets that you can buy for your rack . . . not the same.
Opinions are FREE: Free is what it's worth --
but, if I had the cash right now, there is nothing I'd rather add to my rig than a Virus.
. . . besides, I think there are moog filters on board if I'm not mistaken . . .

happy hunting, lucky dog smile.gif

+Quote Post
mortalengines
posté mer. 24 sept. 2008, 05:13
Message #5

Advanced Member

Membre no 65,373

I understand that the Access Virus has filters that are "modeled" after the Moog....I have played with the Virus TI in the Guitar Center and if it wasn't for the fact that I went completely nuts for some really nice outboard preamps and compressors I would probably own a TI now. Hopefully I will sell enough old gear on Craigslist to pay off what I owe and get one.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 14:52
- © 440 Forums 2011