MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firewire Cardbus On A Powerbook G4, Performance issues
kassotis
posté sam. 30 avril 2005, 13:21
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 24 nov. 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 55,513

Hi,

I have an external firewire 400 hard drive and the rme fireface 800 audio unit.
I was thinking that it would be much better to use a cardbus on the pcmcia slot of the powerbook and not use the same firewire bus for both the audio unit and the drive.
However I'm not sure whether the powerbook makes full use of both at the same time or it somehow shares them. I guess something like irq sharing...
I'm not very good at that so any info will be great.
I'm also using USB 2 hard drive and some other usb 1 devices so virtually every port of the powerbook is used.
Will it change the performance if i seperate the 2 firewire devices or it will just create more sharing issues...?

thanks

Ion
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté sam. 30 avril 2005, 13:42
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Go for the PCMCIA firewire card, it works.

Cards bring you at least one FW bus more (check the specs)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
misterharrison
posté sam. 22 déc. 2007, 14:14
Message #3

Inscrit : 03 déc. 03
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 30,210

I hope no one minds me resurrecting this topic, but I've searched on various forums and can't find the answers I need. sad.gif

I'm trying to use a bus-powered RME Fireface400 and an externally-powered FW800 HD on a G4 PowerBook.

Problems:
  • The RME is selfish and doesn't like sharing the Firewire bus - although there are separate 800 and 400 ports on the PowerBook, they actually share the same bus.
  • The FW400 RME pulls the FW800 HD connection down to 400 speed.

So...

I obviously need a PCMCIA Firewire card!

Questions:
  • Which device should I run off the PCMCIA card, the interface or the HD? (bearing in mind that the interface is bus-powered)
  • Can anyone recommend a PCMCIA card to do this? (Obviously with a FW800 port if I'm connecting the HD to it)

Thanks

Will

cool.gif

+Quote Post
mortalengines
posté dim. 23 déc. 2007, 07:32
Message #4

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 08 mai 05
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 65,373

I am looking at the same thing as I am planning on buying a Focusrite Liquid Mix (it too needs its own FW hub). As far as what device should use what input, I don't really know which will work better for you as I haven't heard about one way working better than the other. It may be trial and error at first. I really wanted to let you know that I found some of the PCMCIA card bus FW adapters on Ebay for 20 dollars US that are Mac compatible. Go for it. What the heck, if it doesn't work you've wasted 20 bucks. I am still trying to make sure that I won't get laid off before I buy my Liquid Mix (I work in construction). Right now that is the ONLY thing that keeps me from going forward.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

Ce message a été modifié par mortalengines - dim. 23 déc. 2007, 07:36.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 21:42
- © MacMusic 1997-2008