MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eq-ing Live/bar Recordings
bluelou
posté dim. 25 oct. 2009, 17:47
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 25 oct. 09
Lieu : Belleville - US
Membre no 111,128

Ive been recording my band with the zoom H4. Most of the recordings are at very small bars not clubs. The zoom is usually set up about 10 ft from the band usually about 9ft high pointed at a 45' angle centered towards the drummer. (there arent many options of zoom placement in these smaller bars with wall to wall people in the way)
I upload them into Twistedwave or soundstudio. The recordings are very good but need EQ. They sound kind of boxy or slightly dead or muffled. I have a bunch of different EQs and effect plugins and I make adjustments which sound 100% beter but im just not sure what should go on the final mix. Can anyone suggest something I should or shouldnt do? I tried the demo of DUY MagicEQ which automatically gives you different mixes but the demo wouldnt work. Im not so crazy about twistedwave or Soundstudio. Any suggestions on better software for what im trying to accomplish? I use a mac running Snowleopard.
Thanks
Lou
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
headstack
posté lun. 26 oct. 2009, 05:23
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 25 sept. 09
Lieu : Ocean Beach - US
Membre no 110,679

QUOTE (bluelou @ Sun 25 Oct 2009, 12:47) *
Ive been recording my band with the zoom H4. Most of the recordings are at very small bars not clubs. The zoom is usually set up about 10 ft from the band usually about 9ft high pointed at a 45' angle centered towards the drummer. (there arent many options of zoom placement in these smaller bars with wall to wall people in the way)
I upload them into Twistedwave or soundstudio. The recordings are very good but need EQ. They sound kind of boxy or slightly dead or muffled. I have a bunch of different EQs and effect plugins and I make adjustments which sound 100% beter but im just not sure what should go on the final mix. Can anyone suggest something I should or shouldnt do? I tried the demo of DUY MagicEQ which automatically gives you different mixes but the demo wouldnt work. Im not so crazy about twistedwave or Soundstudio. Any suggestions on better software for what im trying to accomplish? I use a mac running Snowleopard.
Thanks
Lou

By placing the Zoom so close to any surface, ceiling, wall, etc, you suffer from proximity effect and pick up more bottom end.
Try placing the zoom at a level closer to a listeners position and about 3/5 back.
When you begin to try to EQ the audio, you will change the audience tone as well and it can sound pretty awful.
In this case, it would be best to record as much of the room tone and audience without music as you can. This can be used as a noise signature and be played on two separate tracks at 180 deg phase reversed, which will remove some of the noise.
It will not remove anywhere near all of it, but will lessen it some it and allow the music to sound a bit more forward.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 12:49
- © 440 Forums 2011