MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G5 Without Additional Sound Card?, Will it work without one?
yingtong
posté mar. 25 nov. 2003, 22:23
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 14 août 03
Lieu : - UK
Membre no 22,999

I'm planning on buying a dual 1.8 GHz G5, but I can't find a ref anywhere about whether they will run Logic + soft synths etc without an additional sound card.

Do I need an additional sound card? Other than greater I/O capacity, what would an additional sound card allow me to do? If I'm doing all my processing, sequencing and recording inside the G5, is a sound card necessary (other than the increased I/O)?

Cheers.
blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fuhnuh
posté mer. 26 nov. 2003, 00:28
Message #2

Inscrit : 27 avril 03
Lieu : Seattle - US
Membre no 16,839

No need for an additional soundcard to run/monitor logic. If you want to get external audio into logic (for example, guitar vocals), a good soundcard may raise the quality of these parts of your recordings. If you are going to be working mainly within logic with soft synths and effects, I would think that the built in audio will be fine. There are many reasons that you may eventually want an additional audio card, but I would consider trying the Dual 1.8 without an additional soundcard. If you find you need one later, at least you will know what you need it for and hopefully will be able to make an informed soundcard purchase.
If you are concerned that the performance of the actual software will be affected by not having an external soundcard, don't worry unless you need high quality monitoring. The quality of the soundcard will not affect the quality of the all-software-based logic songs except as far as better monitoring will allow you to get a better mix.

+Quote Post
otan
posté mer. 26 nov. 2003, 09:56
Message #3

Inscrit : 25 nov. 03
Lieu : Toulouse - FR
Membre no 29,653

for the moment, there's no sound card optimize for the G5 in a PCI mode. Apple has made its computers with a new splot of PCI , the PCI-X, also called the PCI 2.2. So, for now, the only way to connect a sound card to a G5 is to use the firewire or usb port.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 26 nov. 2003, 18:54
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

QUOTE (otan @ Nov 26 2003, 09:56)
for the moment, there's no sound card optimize for the G5 in a PCI mode.

Maybe Motu is of a different opinion on this? uh? blink.gif

424 core is compatible.

I'm not up to date with the others but a little search here and there… wink.gif

Now there are options in USB and firewire aplenty… and more suited to a small number of I/Os. Be careful as some have real issues still with their drivers.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
RubberSoul
posté mer. 26 nov. 2003, 22:21
Message #5

Inscrit : 29 oct. 03
Lieu : - IT
Membre no 27,742

I'm temporary using a RME/Nuendo/Digiface sound card while waiting for MOTU to send me the 424/G5 upgrade, and it seems to work fine.
Not as flexible as MOTU though.

--------------------
"The Present Day Composer CAN'T AFFORDTo Die" (Scozzafava)
SO Webpage

+Quote Post
yingtong
posté mer. 26 nov. 2003, 23:23
Message #6

Membre no 22,999

Thanks for the advice. I'd hoped that I might be able to put off the soundcard purchase - these little G5 fellas aren't cheap (unlike me).

However, I/O will probably become a pain after a while - so I guess I'll be coming back for advice on soundcard best buys later. By the way, definitely the best mac musician site I've found.

Keep up the good work Macmusic people.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
posté jeu. 27 nov. 2003, 16:28
Message #7

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 19 mars 03
Lieu : Umeå - SE
Membre no 14,645

Plus Motu has fairly recently upgraded BOTH their fw & usb-drivers to be G5/Panther compatible.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
yingtong
posté ven. 28 nov. 2003, 23:28
Message #8

Membre no 22,999

Thanks m' man.

While I have your attention... I'm an old skool VST user, but fancy the whole Logic thing - several reasons - the Apple/Emagic buy-out thing, Rhodes piano plugin, tastey interface...

This is a massive long shot, but I have a big old back catalogue of VST song files which I'd like to avoid rebuilding in Logic - but I just don't like what I've read about Cubase support for Macs, so I'm thinking that a G5 could bring on a new era of Logic for me.

Does anyone know whether Logic recognises VST song files? Also, does it "Rewire" Reason successfully? (Emagic say it does, but I'd value some real life experience.)

Cheers again...

+Quote Post
otan
posté sam. 29 nov. 2003, 10:43
Message #9

Inscrit : 25 nov. 03
Lieu : Toulouse - FR
Membre no 29,653

Is the G5 sound card great? I'm not sure. it help us to start quickly working with that powermac but it possibilities are limited: 44.1/24 bit. the analog input and output don't work in 6.35 jack.. so we loose sound quality with a less audio flux.
It's a standard hardware not made to work in a professional way.

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté sam. 29 nov. 2003, 15:43
Message #10

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

I don't know about VST songs and Logic, but ReWire works fine for me. It's MUCH easier to set up in Cubase SX, but once you get your head round the Logic way of doing it, it's OK.

Saying that, I really get the impression that Emagic would be quite happy if ReWire upped and died. They didn't really bother about it until Logic 6, even though everyone wanted it in 5 and Propellerheads did their side of the deal. It's not Emagic technology, I suppose, and to me they always seem a bit sniffy about things they didn't invent.

But I digress. Yes, ReWire works in Logic Platinum 6.2.3, according to one user's real-life experience. And you're right about Cubase support for Macs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 28 avril 2024, 10:45
- © MacMusic 1997-2008