MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Mac As A High-end Cd Player
marcustoo
posté mar. 20 janv. 2004, 16:43
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 12 janv. 04
Membre no 33,044

My expensive Cd player just broke and I'd like to replace it with CDs stored on a Mac. The question is, for an audiophile what is the best way to do this? One possibility is to use the digital out of a G5 directly to my amplifier. Alternative use a firewire connection from a possibly cheaper Mac to a d/a converter or use firewire to digital. In both cases use itunes to control the output.

An alternative is to use Net-Tune Network Audio via ethernet.

Any suggestions? I am particularly concerned with fan noise so ideas on using a quieter machine like a laptop wold be particularly appreciated.

Mark
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 21 janv. 2004, 01:13
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

The D/A converters of the Macs even if they are correct for some low end use, won't give you a decent conversion. Especially if you're on the audiophile route.

Use the digital out from the G5 if you can plug it. It may be even better than the firewire route (pros in the French forums regard audio streaming thru FW as not as acurate given there are still sample errors, note it's a problem for profesionals working on high end systems. They use FW still but for backup or while recording on the run outside the studio)

Fan noise on a G5? You should have heard the G4 wink.gif laugh.gif

If you want to use it as a CD player only, and the fan is a problem, check a Cube, it has no fan and it has FW. Laptops are expensive but would bring you a way to move the collection easily. A simple iBook is enough. Now to extend the internal drive to be able to put more CD quality file on it will cost more. And a Firewire drive is less expensive than a bigger internal drive for it.

No to sum things:

as a juke box only an ibook or a cube can suit you. G5 will be able to handle much more things (like… work!) htey are way quieter than G4.
Audio thru FW or better the optical digital out from the G5.

The real question is storage. Best solution is still bigggg drives in FW.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 25 oct. 2024, 18:24
- © MacMusic 1997-2008