MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Total Beginner Needs Guiding Hand, Help for beginner
russellthemessia...
posté mar. 14 sept. 2004, 23:33
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 14 sept. 04
Lieu : Manchester - UK
Membre no 50,985

Hello all.

I am new both to Mac Music and making music on a Mac (or any other PC). I have absolutely no idea as to how audio setups work, MIDI interfaces, preamps etc. I once naively believed I could just plug my guitar into my computer; that gives you an idea of the level of ineptitude I display. BUT, I am willing to learn so, any plain English explanations of how best to go about recording my voice, my guitar and keyboards (yet to be bought but willing to spend some cash) would be much appreciated. I must make it clear that I fully intend to buy Logic Express 6... other than that, I am a little lost. I do not intend to spend more than £350 after having bought Logic... Many thanks in advance for your time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
kaboombahchuck
posté mer. 15 sept. 2004, 13:27
Message #2

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Chandler - US
Membre no 2,003

OK, if I was just starting out, and new what I know... Here is what I'd do.

Russ,,
Get yourself a decent midi controller keyboard that uses USB for a connection to the Mac.... yes it is a keybord, that can be either volosity sincitive, or a weighted feel. With the instruments that should come with Logic, and what there is out on the web (sound fonts) there is no limit to what you will be able to do. I could go on about all that you will be able to do, but it would take forever.
As far as audio goes.. depends on it your laptop as an audio in port (1/8" stereo) or not..
If it does have an adio in port, get yourself a decent mixer (Alesis, or Behringer). Generally if you go this way you will not need any pre amps, and alot of the small mixer come with built in effects. They come with 48 volt "fantom power" so you will be able to go with either a cartoid mic or a condincer mic, no problem. Plug the guitar into the mixer, and what ever else you want. The problem with going this way is you can only record 2 tracs symiltainiously.

If not you will need to get an external audio infterface. Fire wire interfaces (like the MOTU 828) are your best bet, but at almost a grand for one of those you might want to check out the USB interfaces. Some of the interfaces some with fantom power for the mics. They are also usually portable. The draw backs are.. the prices for a desent interface is still a bit pricey, the mixer control is done using sliders and nobs on the computer screen (I prefer real slider and nobs, switches, lights... the more the better).

If your laptop maxes out a 512, then that's the best your gonna get, if not then max the ram.

John,
Same for you..
I have not heard much good about the iMic's..
Another midi controller you might want to check would be Oxygen 8 (M-Audio... I think),

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet
- russellthemessiah   Total Beginner Needs Guiding Hand   mar. 14 sept. 2004, 23:33
- - xingu   Let's get some things straight first. Wha...   mer. 15 sept. 2004, 01:28
- - russellthemessiah   Ok. Things are starting to make a little more sens...   mer. 15 sept. 2004, 08:06
- - john63   Hi, I am wondering if I might ride along on this o...   mer. 15 sept. 2004, 10:20
- - russellthemessiah   Thanks for the reply dude. I'm just wonderin...   mer. 15 sept. 2004, 13:51
- - xingu   Russell, You know what? You'll probably be ...   mer. 15 sept. 2004, 17:12
- - russellthemessiah   Once again, thanks for the help. i am now consider...   jeu. 16 sept. 2004, 17:05
- - landlox   Hi _ I'm new to this web site. Just a hobbyist...   ven. 17 sept. 2004, 03:14
- - xingu   Landlox, Yes, DAWs like Cubase and Logic do act a...   ven. 17 sept. 2004, 05:13
- - kaboombahchuck   OK, here is the deal If you don't have (or wa...   ven. 17 sept. 2004, 13:12
- - prrcomm   I agree with everything that's been said here ...   ven. 17 sept. 2004, 17:36
- - landlox   Thanks much for your answers. As a long time compu...   ven. 17 sept. 2004, 21:38
- - swilder   Midi Controller, If it has a Midi Out Port, it can...   sam. 18 sept. 2004, 05:34
- - kaboombahchuck   Yes your casio can be used as a midi controller (i...   dim. 19 sept. 2004, 04:56
- - scoutdavis   I was checking out the software directory based on...   mar. 28 sept. 2004, 21:10
- - kaboombahchuck   It's really hard to say what way to go when it...   jeu. 30 sept. 2004, 13:27

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 26 juin 2024, 02:23
- © MacMusic 1997-2008