MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Starting Out-notation Software/mac Configuration, as above
jfitz
posté jeu. 23 oct. 2003, 03:33
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 17 oct. 03
Lieu : Culver City - US
Membre no 26,955

Howdy,
I'm interested in notating music first off. Saving time in transposition and reworking tunes, mostly jazz oriented. I will want to play stuff in on a keyboard I expect. I want to set up a system that's got enough power/flexibility to do some live instrument recording ultimately, but my first need is the composition/notation thang. I've got about $1500 to spend and I have nothing now. I was thinking of getting a reconditioned mac configured for the aforemention tasks and some notation software, most of which comes w/ a bit of sequencing I hear.

Any ideas about this here plan would be appreciated.
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
JeanB
posté ven. 31 oct. 2003, 06:42
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 31 oct. 03
Lieu : Anaheim - US
Membre no 27,883

Finale has different user need levels. I think Sibelius does also. The cool thing about both those programs is that the files can be read by either Mac or PC.

There is a Guitar Finale (I think that is what it is called,) I am not sure if it has a midi in feature, but it does do guitar notation and can transpose and play back the notation. I think it is $69-70.

I don't know how good metro is but that too is an alternative.

The more powerful the notation program, the higher the learning curve. The good thing about either Sibelius
http://www.sibelius.com/ or Finale http://www.finalemusic.com/ is that you have a choice as to the level of the product you want to purchase. Both companies have good upgrade prices and both companies try to steal customers from eacn other by offering huge discounts if you want to switch to their product. (You have to turn in your old software though). I know for certain that Finale has special education/church discounted prices. Sibelius may also.

Naturally I like Finale because I know how to use it and since I have kept up with the upgrades can get the latest improvements for a good price.

Finale now allows you to have the softward on two computers at one, like one for work and one for home, and for $50 extra you can have both Mac and PC platforms.

I got the big program because I figured I would grow into it.
I did and it has been a life saver for me.

The thing about the more advanced notation programs is that you need to know something about notation to use them well.
Even if you play midi or import midi files, you still need to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of notation. If you do understand notation then I would suggest you download a trial version of any of the above mentioned programs to see how they compare. The new Finale 2004 demo is available for PC users but the new one is not available for Mac until December because they are still working the Panther bugs out for it.

Take care and let us know which you decide on and how you like it.

biggrin.gif JeanB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 22 oct. 2024, 19:50
- © MacMusic 1997-2008