MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Protools??, is it crap or not
kristingish
posté lun. 18 août 2003, 01:52
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 06 juin 03
Lieu : Plainfield - US
Membre no 19,206

i know that protools is the industry standard for recording but , i wonder this. Its really just a computer, so why would i not be better of with the fastest G5 that is available and MOTU DP4 and apogee converters, which are better to begin with. The cost difference would be tremendous, and will i really be able to slow down the G5. iM only recording audio, very little MIDI . I want to hear both sides of this if possible, real reasons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
leamatic
posté lun. 18 août 2003, 20:46
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 13 août 03
Lieu : Cambridge - UK
Membre no 22,939

The major difference between pro-tools and other computer based workstations is two-fold, as I understand it. Firstly, as you point out, A-D converters on Pro-tools hardware are renowned for their high quality. The pre-amps you get on pro-tools consoles are also worth a mention: I know, for example that focusrite designed the preamps for the M-box, which is as good a reccomendation as any. Secondly, and perhaps more relevant, is that on HD systems you get DSP farms, which allow you to run high-quality plug-ins without maxing out your processor. Some plug-ins, for example the Virus Indigo TDM, are only available for high-end Pro-tools systems. Do bear in mind that all Pro-tools systems require a host computer, and that the latest edition of Pro-tools needs at least a G4 800mhz Mac to run most efficiently. Hope that is helpful...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 17 oct. 2024, 07:29
- © MacMusic 1997-2008