MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> G4 Powerbook 17"
THE DUDE
posté jeu. 24 juil. 2003, 22:02
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 juil. 03
Membre no 21,681

Hi Everyone...
First off...I would like to say that this forum is great!!!
I am a new member and definately a Mac fan. I am in the market to buy a new computer and have decided to go for Mac all the way. I am seriously considering the G4 powerbook 15" but now the 17" has intrigued me further. I know many people have a problem with its size but for me its actually a benefit having such a large screen to view when working. I will be using the PB mainly for music production..you know sampling, looping, multi-tracking...whatever. Considering I buy the G4 PB 17"...my ideal set up will consist of Logic 6 or Cubase SX running on OSX..a software sampler (Halion 2.0 or Logic EXSP)...the audio card will probably be the Digidesign M Box so I can benefit from having Pro Tools...for a midi controller I am looking at the small Oxygen 8 keyboard. Eventually I also want to get a Firewire drive strictly for the audio considering that the internal hard drive is running @ 4200 according to specs. Will I have a problem if I start with the internal drive for now. Obviously I want to be able to do both midi and audio based production together with some VST instruments and EFX. My question is...will the G4 PB 17" accomodate my demands and needs. I have heard from others that its a true workhorse and I shouldnt have a problem. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me possibly user experiences...pros...cons...or just good old opinions.

Much respect and thanks in advance.
PS...I will soon be running with the Mac gurus..LOL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
c.frederik
posté mer. 6 août 2003, 08:13
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 08 juil. 03
Lieu : Veldhoven - NL
Membre no 20,952

Hello The Dude,

So, in answer to your first question, I can say, I am a proud and very happy user of the Powerbook 17" and most of the problems have to do with my little knowledge of this very new world of Mac and OS. I take the powerbook everywhere I go and have to be carefull not to forget to take my wife with me too.

In the past monthes I have worked more than 10 hours a day with the PB 17" and before that I used Pc and Windows and I still do. Because of the music I was looking for somthing portable and solid and, and, and............So I came up to Mac and choose the Powerbook 17" because off all the technics and the wonderfull screen. Yes the size is big, but that is according to my wishes.

So what do I think now of the PB 17".
There is view negative I can say. OSx is new and there is not very much software as I was used to have on the Pc. Oh, and because I want to e-mail everywhere, I was looking for a PMCIA solution, but Mac do not support that, but every PC or Laptop do support. So I use my Mobile now as a modem and that works fine as everything works fine. Installation of software is always a piece of cake........

I'am now considering to buy a fire wire external HDD. The hdd drive can be used for your music but as they suggest, it is better to use a separate external fast hdd.
I'm thinking of the LaCie 120 or 80 GB. As you kow I use the MBox and PT LE and G7 for gitar / midi. I'am still looking for a solution to become good midi sounds rather than the sounds of the build in Quick Time midi sounds. Perheps you have a suggestion.

Counting all the positive and negative, I'm still more than satisfied with my Mac PB17"!!

Wish you good luck and wisdom choise!

Greetings,
Kees.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 11 oct. 2024, 06:20
- © MacMusic 1997-2008