MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Just Switched To Mac, What Sequencer Should I Use?, Cubase SX? Cubase SL? MOTU DP? Protools?
Kyle
posté lun. 17 févr. 2003, 17:02
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 17 févr. 03
Lieu : Alpharetta - US
Membre no 12,515

Hey everybody. I just recently switched from a PC to my wonderful new PowerMac duel 1.25GHz G4. While on PC I used Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Sonar for all my recording/sequencing. Now that I'm on a mac, what should I look into? I seem to have noticed that the big players are Protools 6, MOTU Digital Performer, and Cubase. Any others I should look into? Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
sazerac
posté mer. 19 févr. 2003, 18:07
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 09 janv. 03
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 10,641

Just thought I'd add my two cents - I started out as a Deck user (4-5 years ago I guess). Very basic, but a totally painless introduction to computer based multitracking. If it had any sequencing capability, I didn't know it.

Later I bought a Digi001 which took care of the hardware/software compatibility issues and hand a pretty intuitive interface. Any other PT set-up was entirely not an option because of the huge leap in price. Not being an expert in midi, I still managed to get up and running without too many headaches. But plug-ins were SO expensive (and nearly all the most desireable ones were TDM only) and I couldn't figure out how to automate keyboard module parameters, etc.

Then last year, although a few articles I read mentioned at least one feature in DP that sounded very cool, the Audio Instruments (virtual synths - I love my ES2!) and a reputation for the deepest midi control - and the boatload of included plug-ins pushed me towards Logic.

Here's my evaluation of Logic (and there will be some seemingly irrelevant information included in the interest of full disclosure):
(My host machine is a Titanium Powerbook - 400Mhz)
Midi is unbelievably great. And I think it's safe to say that I've only scratched the surface of Logic's midi potential.
Audio is in no way inferior (to my ears) to PT. (And believe it or not, I'm using an $30.00 iMic as my Audio In until a reasonably priced firewire solution becomes available - if the FireStation was made for OSX I'd probably use that). I used an EZBus for a short time, but found that it was not appropriately named and returned it.
Automation is so wonderful that I don't how I could possibly overstate it.
Hardware Compatiblity has been my biggest concern with Logic, but that has as much to do with my being an OSX user as anything else. So I'm just taking my time and waiting until what I want is available.
Plug-In Availability is surprisingly not a big problem for me. The only thing I MUST have that I can't get are the wonderful GRM plugs as VST2 or AU.
CPU Overload has never been an issue (even on this - by comparison to yours - meager machine) unless I have more than 5 ES2's working SIMULTANEOUSLY in combination with a bunch of plug-ins. I have not yet overloaded the CPU with audio sources+plug-ins+a couple of virtual instruments only.

In conclusion, I think Logic is wonderful. And the features of Logic 6 look VERY useful.

Since this is my first post on the MacMusic forums, I'm sure I've broken several rules. My apologies in advance to the moderators.

p.s. If you don't already own it, go buy Reason 2. Trust me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet
- Kyle   Just Switched To Mac, What Sequencer Should I Use?   lun. 17 févr. 2003, 17:02
- - iman   Hey kyle, i'm new to this myself (recent purch...   lun. 17 févr. 2003, 23:09
- - lepetitmartien   Welcome! Now on the sequencers: If you ne...   lun. 17 févr. 2003, 23:48
- - Kyle   Sounds great! Thanks for all the suggestions. ...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 00:07
- - garysome1   lepetitmartien, I'm curious, what leads you to...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 05:40
- - stergz   One thing to note about Pro Tools 6, is that you c...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 07:05
- - rickenbacker   Ahem, LPM, I don't know if I'd call Cubase...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 11:06
- - lepetitmartien   QUOTE (Kyle @ Feb 18 2003, 00:07)but what abo...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 16:44
- - rickenbacker   QUOTE I think that if you can, you should really h...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 17:42
- - Kyle   Once again, wonderful feedback. I have now removed...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 17:50
- - lepetitmartien   You'll can still use PT free when it'll be...   mar. 18 févr. 2003, 23:47
- - anarchosyn   Kyle, it really comes down to what you feel you...   mer. 19 févr. 2003, 05:52
- - rickenbacker   Kyle: I don't know where you're based, but...   mer. 19 févr. 2003, 12:37
- - liquidh2o   if you decide to go the Cubase route, I have the f...   sam. 8 mars 2003, 13:58
- - mook noodler   Hey Kyle, Steinberg has a demo version of Cubase S...   mer. 12 mars 2003, 05:50
- - hanikfashhou   I have a 1.25GHz Dual Processort, I'm running ...   mer. 12 mars 2003, 11:19
- - rickenbacker   I side with hanik over SX, but I'd go further ...   mer. 12 mars 2003, 12:59
- - lepetitmartien   hanikfashhou cubase has had midi timing problems f...   jeu. 13 mars 2003, 03:47
- - hanikfashhou   Rickenbacker, unfortunately I havent used SX for r...   ven. 14 mars 2003, 02:36
- - horselesspaul   Kyle, Can I just add that the oft aired Logic is w...   ven. 14 mars 2003, 09:16

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 26 sept. 2024, 05:10
- © MacMusic 1997-2008