MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> External Drive Vs Firewire Drive,
Philosorhymes
posté jeu. 19 juil. 2007, 10:07
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 12 sept. 06
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 83,208

Hi all, I would like to purchase one of the new macs (I am not yet sure if it will be a pro or normal macbook) but I would eventually be putting some big sample libraries from Native Instrument on the drives.

I have a question though, Which would be faster, between these two configurations below

1) Upgrading my macbook or (macbook pro), to a 7200rpm drive and installing my libraries on this OR

2) Leaving the standard drive in my macbook (or macbook pro) and getting an external Bus powered Firewire Drive and installing my libraries on this. (The external will be 5400rpm).

The idea is that I carry minimal bulk so I do not really want to get an external 7200rpm drive as all these require power supplies which are normally fairly bulky.

Many Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 20 juil. 2007, 02:45
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

If you're going further than a few tracks at the same time and you stream samples, you'll NEED the external drive.

And I think too that the 7200 external firewire drive will be mandatory.

Note that the new big 2.5" drives of 200-250 GB are fast nearly as a 7200, so maybe it'll be a good solution one day with an external enclosure.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Philosorhymes
posté ven. 20 juil. 2007, 11:35
Message #3

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 12 sept. 06
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 83,208

Thanks Guys, this haas been helpful,

Would I lose a lot of performance by havng a 5400rpm instead of a 7200 rpm external drive. The only reason I am hesistant to get a 7200rpm is that because they require the extra power supply, which is a bit of a pain to log around.

I will not really be doing much recording to my external drives, really it would be sample streaming. I may do the occasional 'recording' but probably not frequently.

Also, can I upgrade the normal macbook (NOT macbook pro) to a 7200rpm disk? They don't seem to offer this upgrade online and I am wondering if there is possibly a problem with overheating or something?

Many Thanks in Adavance.

Phil

Ce message a été modifié par Philosorhymes - ven. 20 juil. 2007, 11:38.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 21 sept. 2024, 07:09
- © 440 Forums 2011