MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Which Powermac G5 To Get?, How much power do I need?
thegrapeguy
posté sam. 18 févr. 2006, 19:57
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 févr. 06
Lieu : Bridgeport - US
Membre no 77,070

I am new to the board but based on the purchase I'm about to make I will probably be visiting often. I am entering the world of computer-based recording because the Roland 1680 hard disc recorder I had been using is finally crashed due to disc fragmentation beyond repair.

In my research I have zeroed in on a G5, Logic Pro 7.2, Apogee Ensemble, and a Tascam 2400 audio control surface.
My questions are:

Which G5 should I get? - I have as many as 60 or so single song recording progects at any one time ranging from 16 - 24 tracks of audio. In the summer I offer a Music Video camp and will occasionally produce a "simple" music video with simple editing. I've heard for anything to do with video that the quad core is 2.5 the way to go. However I would like to get away with the 2.3 dual core if it can handle simple video. To what effect does the choice of dual core 2.0, 2.3, or quad core 2.5 G5's have to do with day to day music recording?

Are there any other alternatives for an audio control surface that has 24 faders than the Tascam US 2400? I feel I need this type of unit so that when I mix it will be as "old school hands on the faders" as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
Mac Daddy
posté lun. 24 juil. 2006, 09:20
Message #2

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 10 févr. 06
Lieu : Hamburg - DE
Membre no 76,633

henrymorris, terrible, story. It happens. Too bad to you. So, what are you going to do? Mac won't replace it or at least the Hard Drives? I would go nuts if something like that happened to me... hahaworld got me interested in the G5 Quad. Then I read some positive reviews, great in fact. They sound "Wicked" but, not "Evil Wicked" like you're experiencing. Ouch! How long have you been without a Coumputer? What is Mac saying? Where is this happening? Which country? Is it under Warranty? Must be, they're New! Mac Care?

I would indeed be going nuts after dropping serious bucks, they are very expensive. I think I read somewhere 7 thousand and change, without Monitor! (Yes, hahaworld and "No Bluetooth"!) Yes, if it happened to me... I'd be the dude on CNN being arrested and held in custody for kicking Steve Jobs butt. And no, I would not be hiding my face I'd be shouting directly in the camera... "I'm gonna keep kickin his butt until he replaces my computer! It ain't about the money, it's about the Down Time, aggrevation, Stress, Sleepless nights. I freak when a Plug-In is not connecting. Absolute Ape if I was having your problems. Are you rich? Cool? Master please help Grass Hopper understand this knowledge and wisdom! I'm hyper ventilating at the thought.

So what does Mac say? Are you an experienced User? Did you convert from PC? What Software? Is it Hardware or Software? I'm seriously between a Rock and a hard place. Reviews, say: I better get one today... Then your story. Then there's hahaworld, Smooth and Silky, Warp Speed! Some guys have all the luck... he's probably not good looking like us.

Perhaps I should stop dreaming and writing and get back to work on my solid G5 Dual 2 GHz. I guess I'm only flirting, I'm happily married, but, those new ones sho isz pudry. Good luck with this crisis. Please keep us up on what happens. If it gets real ugly maybe we can send letters into Stevie to show or support? Might look good coming from the Mac Forum? Are we not the real link to music development and/or testing? Or, send him my Quote about kickin' his butt! Good luck. Ugly story so far. Hope it has a Mactacular ending.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet
- thegrapeguy   Which Powermac G5 To Get?   sam. 18 févr. 2006, 19:57
- - epidermus   I'm in exactly the same predicament. My G4 Po...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 03:36
|- - lancet   the quad, if you can afford it. no question.   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 05:28
- - hahaworld   A related question for any takers: Has anyone hea...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 06:23
- - thedomus   Pentiums!!! I hope they are not. Us ...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 08:17
- - Mac Daddy   We can't answere because most of us have not p...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 09:23
- - lepetitmartien   Right now Logic still does not use the Quad in ful...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 16:17
- - thegrapeguy   Hi Epidermus - I did as lepitmartien suggested and...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 20:46
- - Mac Daddy   thetherapyguy, Your not just a pretty face, you...   mar. 18 juil. 2006, 10:22
- - aportman   Since you guys are on the subject. Is there any pr...   mer. 19 juil. 2006, 07:32
|- - Mac-Dee   QUOTE (aportman @ Wed 19 Jul 2006, 06:32)...   mer. 19 juil. 2006, 11:59
|- - henrymorris   Hi - have been in a similar position - i.e. to wai...   dim. 23 juil. 2006, 19:05
- - hahaworld   I just bought a G5 Quad this week specifically bec...   jeu. 20 juil. 2006, 04:56
- - Mac Daddy   hahaworld, you're my latest hero. I see why yo...   ven. 21 juil. 2006, 12:00
- - Mac Daddy   Sorry to hear about all the trouble mate. I know h...   ven. 21 juil. 2006, 13:52
- - hahaworld   Hey, Mac Daddy! Yeah, you've got to laugh...   sam. 22 juil. 2006, 06:26
- - Mac Daddy   hahaworld, glad to hear you're up and running....   dim. 23 juil. 2006, 17:46

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 30 juin 2024, 07:27
- © MacMusic 1997-2008