MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Which Powermac G5 To Get?, How much power do I need?
thegrapeguy
posté sam. 18 févr. 2006, 19:57
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 févr. 06
Lieu : Bridgeport - US
Membre no 77,070

I am new to the board but based on the purchase I'm about to make I will probably be visiting often. I am entering the world of computer-based recording because the Roland 1680 hard disc recorder I had been using is finally crashed due to disc fragmentation beyond repair.

In my research I have zeroed in on a G5, Logic Pro 7.2, Apogee Ensemble, and a Tascam 2400 audio control surface.
My questions are:

Which G5 should I get? - I have as many as 60 or so single song recording progects at any one time ranging from 16 - 24 tracks of audio. In the summer I offer a Music Video camp and will occasionally produce a "simple" music video with simple editing. I've heard for anything to do with video that the quad core is 2.5 the way to go. However I would like to get away with the 2.3 dual core if it can handle simple video. To what effect does the choice of dual core 2.0, 2.3, or quad core 2.5 G5's have to do with day to day music recording?

Are there any other alternatives for an audio control surface that has 24 faders than the Tascam US 2400? I feel I need this type of unit so that when I mix it will be as "old school hands on the faders" as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
aportman
posté mer. 19 juil. 2006, 07:32
Message #2

Rookie

Inscrit : 13 nov. 05
Lieu : League City - US
Membre no 72,457

Since you guys are on the subject. Is there any projected dates when MacIntel PC will be coming out? i am too thinking about purchasing a G5 to replace my very tired G4 desktop, but hate to spend that kind of money, only for it to become obsolete when the MacIntel PC's come out. I am trying to see if I should just go ahead and purchase a quad G5. As long as it would last me 4 or 5 years that would be great. Thanks for any input!

Allen

+Quote Post
Mac-Dee
posté mer. 19 juil. 2006, 11:59
Message #3

Inscrit : 20 févr. 04
Lieu : ACT - AU
Membre no 36,296

QUOTE (aportman @ Wed 19 Jul 2006, 06:32) *
Since you guys are on the subject. Is there any projected dates when MacIntel PC will be coming out? i am too thinking about purchasing a G5 to replace my very tired G4 desktop, but hate to spend that kind of money, only for it to become obsolete when the MacIntel PC's come out. I am trying to see if I should just go ahead and purchase a quad G5. As long as it would last me 4 or 5 years that would be great. Thanks for any input!

Allen

Hi i am from australia.
I have a Dual 2.5 G5 ... had it for 1 year 8 months had a few things replaced on it ... Power supply./optical drive/all the fans and now the optical drive a second time. I would recommend getting the new G5 if you have the money ... Do not get the G5 with the amd 8131 chipset its not very good with compatiblility ... with third party Cards DSP and PCI cards ... but as for power yeah a second hand G5 with out the chipset and you would be doing alright...

+Quote Post
Henry Morris
posté dim. 23 juil. 2006, 19:05
Message #4

Inscrit : 26 nov. 02
Lieu : Alpujarras - ES
Membre no 9,597

Hi - have been in a similar position - i.e. to wait or not to wait, that is the question ... and finally decided on going for the PowerMac G5 Quad. But it was constantly crashing right from the start. After many many hours of following Apple Care directions, without a remedy, it was finally declared dead on arrival. Replacement sent out from Apple. Exactly the same faults, crashing constantly etc etc. Sent it back and demanded reiumbursement!

While all this was going on I consulted the Apple G5 forum - many times! - and other sources, and found out that I was one of MANY who have been having problems with this machine.

I have decided to be patient and wait for a stable machine to appear, one that is not going to be redundant VERY soon, like the Quad.

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet
- thegrapeguy   Which Powermac G5 To Get?   sam. 18 févr. 2006, 19:57
- - epidermus   I'm in exactly the same predicament. My G4 Po...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 03:36
|- - lancet   the quad, if you can afford it. no question.   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 05:28
- - hahaworld   A related question for any takers: Has anyone hea...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 06:23
- - thedomus   Pentiums!!! I hope they are not. Us ...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 08:17
- - Mac Daddy   We can't answere because most of us have not p...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 09:23
- - lepetitmartien   Right now Logic still does not use the Quad in ful...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 16:17
- - thegrapeguy   Hi Epidermus - I did as lepitmartien suggested and...   lun. 17 juil. 2006, 20:46
- - Mac Daddy   thetherapyguy, Your not just a pretty face, you...   mar. 18 juil. 2006, 10:22
|- - Mac-Dee   QUOTE (aportman @ Wed 19 Jul 2006, 06:32)...   mer. 19 juil. 2006, 11:59
- - hahaworld   I just bought a G5 Quad this week specifically bec...   jeu. 20 juil. 2006, 04:56
- - Mac Daddy   hahaworld, you're my latest hero. I see why yo...   ven. 21 juil. 2006, 12:00
- - Mac Daddy   Sorry to hear about all the trouble mate. I know h...   ven. 21 juil. 2006, 13:52
- - hahaworld   Hey, Mac Daddy! Yeah, you've got to laugh...   sam. 22 juil. 2006, 06:26
- - Mac Daddy   hahaworld, glad to hear you're up and running....   dim. 23 juil. 2006, 17:46
- - Mac Daddy   henrymorris, terrible, story. It happens. Too bad ...   lun. 24 juil. 2006, 09:20

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 2 juil. 2024, 07:08
- © MacMusic 1997-2008