MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> Vocal Recording Techniques, What makes for good technical vocal
sonickid23
posté sam. 13 mai 2006, 01:54
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 04 avril 06
Lieu : New York - UK
Membre no 78,897

So I've been doing some reading in this forum and have learned that, yes a large part of a good vocal involves the talent of the singer. However, technically what makes a good vocal recording?...after recording some of my own vocals and comparing to some CD's of mine I realize they need some sprucing up. I've heard about limiters and compressers and equalizers, yet I have NO CLUE what these do. I have fiddled with them a bit and can definitely hear a difference in the sound, but I guess my question is"What is the desirable vocal sound/quality?" and "How is it achieved?"...I'm sure this will spur a multitude of different answers...so I guest every just give your two cents. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
faradaze
posté lun. 15 mai 2006, 08:02
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 06 juin 05
Lieu : Austin - US
Membre no 66,526

Though it is true that a Neumann, (I own an M 147), or similar microphone will give your vocals (and other intruments) greater depth and clarity, unless what you're recording is vocal-critical, ie., dependent upon the nuance and sybillance of the vocalist, you can get the sound you need from almost any microphone if used properly. By "properly" I mean "know your microphone." Take it outside and let it record normal, everyday sounds. Then, stand 8" in front of it and speak loudly, "This spring I've purchased a pot and a passle of pigs." Repeat these words at varying distances and at different volumes. I gaurantee you will learn more about your microphone in 15 minutes that you knew about your other mics before you sold them on ebay. You will also get to meet your neighbors if you haven't already!

In regards to compression, I use it to bring all the elements of the music into synch. As long as you have tracked to a click or some other reference, compression can bring your tracks into perfect allignment, wherever your ears tell you that is. Remember, there are as many variables as there are musicians so at the very least count each instrument in the mix as its own entity worthy of its own "place". You'll be surprised how often the seemingly smallest component in the mix can be manipulated to get the "big" sound you want.

Ce message a été modifié par faradaze - lun. 15 mai 2006, 08:26.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 8 juin 2024, 17:13
- © 440 Forums 2011