MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Got a G4/400, Where can I go from this?
jce44
posté dim. 19 mars 2006, 16:28
Message #1

Groupe : Validating
Inscrit : 18 déc. 05
Lieu : Albuquerque - US
Membre no 74,080

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Mar 2 2006, 02:25)
That's it

Max the RAM to 2 GB, and you're flying smile.gif
Note it'll be noisy by today's standards

The only point I strongly advise you is to use it either in OS 9 or in OS X only, not both and switching. That's the thing that makes them behave crazily.

You'll be able to upgrade the processor later if need be, but by this time, you'll be on macintels. On the drives, it can be made better, but you'll be up and running with this. cool.gif

There's not very many posts nor much info in MM about processor upgrades (G4) and making music.

One post (replied to by "Newbies", such as myself) says to stay away from a processor upgrade and save up for a new or used G5.... Another, recent post explains that certain Audio Interfaces aren't supported with processor upgrades.

I've got a G4 AGP Graphics Sawtooth, 400 MHz, 1 GB RAM (can add more), original 10GB HD + added 110GB HD. Use (but not often) 9.2.2 OS on the first HD & OS 10.3.9 on the second HD. Added a PCI card w/ 3 USB 2.0 & 1 FW port

My budget is limited. My recording needs are small and mostly personal/ non-professional. But I've got music that needs to be done. 3 piece band w/ guitar, lead & bass, digital piano, vocals. I've been reading these posts for a few months now and trying to figure out-

1. what Audio Interface to buy? < $500.00 (seems that Cubase software is preferred?)
2. and which processor upgrade to go for? (limited 100MHz bus speed)

I changed my mind from the processor upgrade to the Mac Mini last year. That way I'd get the external HD (firewire to my G4) AND a CD burner AND a faster processor, but now they're onto Intel processors... ??

I understand that I also need to add external HD? and I need to get a decent CD (DVD too) burner.

Please, some help here? Can I upgrade my (beloved) G4 and make music?

Thank you.

--------------------
dB= deciBell. (CAPITOL "B") In honor of Alexander Graham...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
cornutt
posté lun. 15 mai 2006, 03:52
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 10 févr. 02
Lieu : Huntsville, AL
Membre no 3,371

QUOTE (jce44 @ Mar 20 2006, 11:45)
My intention is to use OSX exclusively for recording music. I don't use OS 9.2.2 for much besides old games/software...

Will the games and things that you are still using OS9 for run in Classic? If they will, do that instead. It doesn't cause the disk mount/dismount problems that dual booting causes. I quit booting to OS9 as soon as I procured Metro 6, but I still use Classic mode all the time. (Among other things, I have an old Usenet news reader that I like.) I haven't had to boot from the install CD in ages, and booting up takes less time since fsck doesn't have to fix all the things that OS9 messed up. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Dave Cornutt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 18 juin 2024, 13:22
- © MacMusic 1997-2008