MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> Hard Drive Configuration, How should I set up 2 Hard Drives?
Lotus17
posté sam. 25 mars 2006, 08:46
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 03 avril 05
Lieu : New Haven - US
Membre no 63,422

I plan on buying one of the new Seagate NL35 hard drives for my PowerMac G5. The model I want is a 250GB, SATA, 16MB Cache. Here are a few questions.

1) Which hard drive should I make my main hard drive? The 160GB stock or the 250GB Seagate.

2) I should load my programs, samples, and other instruments onto my main hard drive, and use the second hard drive as purely recording space?

3) Is it okay to put other files on my recording drive? I have an extensive music library and was curious which drive would be best to put that library on.

4) My last question pertains to my current external hard drive. I have an external enclosure with the Oxford 922 chip via FW800. The drive itself is a Seagate 160GB, ATA100, 8MB Cache drive. Whenever I run Logic and start recording, there is up to a 5 second delay from when I click the record button to when the program recognizes that it is going to record. It is a little tedious but records flawlessly after that little delay. What could be some problems that I should look into? Thanks!

--------------------
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. C, 2.5GB ram, 160GB External HD via FW800, FireBox, Logic Pro 7.1.1.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
lepetitmartien
posté dim. 26 mars 2006, 06:01
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

1/ the 160 stock, keep system and apps on it. One Tiny bit you can do is to partition it First partition a small one for virtual memory (3-5 GB depends of how much RAM you have), Second one for the rest (system, apps, plug ins, docs the pics of your cat whatever but not audio !)

2/ you can't put your apps elsewhere than you system drive, it's a unix thing. Install everything on the system HD, under an admin account (not the first one, create another one, keep the first one as safety belt) and work your music on this account. In case of problem you'll have all your apps available on any user you create without fuss.

USE journaling on this drive. Save if you app editor says not too, but it can save you system and HD content…

3/ You can put anything you want on the second HD, even a back up system. check the second drive has checked (in information) "don't care about permissions on this HD" (the sentence should be something like that, bottom of the information window)

Use journaling on this drive save if it's slows you down really. it's a safety belt.

4/ Isn't the drive asleep? It may be the reason. Else I don't see why. Check it's permissions (should be as stated above) too.

Now there are back up strategies to think of too, but as you have 3 drives, it should be simple wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 18 oct. 2024, 03:17
- © 440 Forums 2011