MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Buying A G5- Advice Please
djanogil
posté ven. 10 mars 2006, 22:09
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 03 juin 05
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 66,400

Hi,

I'm selling my dual 867 G4 mdd and will get a G5.
As I'm not swimming in dollars, I'm thinking of getting the 2X2Ghz G5, with 2 gig ram and two internal drives.
I heard that Apple are working on the next g5 with Intel chips,
do you know when they're due and if I should wait for these?

Thx

Jean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
edge100
posté lun. 13 mars 2006, 22:32
Message #2

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 20 mai 04
Lieu : Ottawa - CA
Membre no 43,617

Just to follow up on my previous post, I decided to go with the Dual Core 2.0 G5 over the Intel iMac.

In the end, I couldn't justify waiting for all new software. Logic is great, but it wont cut it for me by itself. I need RMX, BFD, Absynth, B4, Live, Vintage Warmer, URS, and Reason. All of these will run at the same speed on the Dual Core G5 as they do on the iMac, but they'll do it NOW.

Plus, the G5 has the following advantages:

Free internal SATA drive bays
Up to 16GB RAM
PCI Express slots, for next gen audio/vid cards
Digital audio IN and out (which I can use as an aggregate device with my audio interface for a nice send/return loop with my external reverb)

The G5 is everything the Intel iMac is, and so much more. I would wager that it will be at least 3 years before the major manufacturers stop making PPC binaries all together. There is just too huge an installed base to give up on them totally. If it were one year from now, and the Powermacs were replaced by the Merom-based MacPro, I'd give it a second thought. But by then, software will be out.

I need a computer now, so I'm going with the Dual Core G5.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (3 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 21 sept. 2024, 21:36
- © MacMusic 1997-2008