MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Powerbook G4/pro Tools/external Hard Drives, Newbie help
jawnzap7
posté lun. 23 janv. 2006, 01:26
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 janv. 06
Lieu : Philadelphia - US
Membre no 75,714

First I just wanna say thanks to everybody on this site. I just joined but, have already learned a ton just from poking around. It seems as if everybody here is very patient, and informative...now that the requisite ass-kissing is over , lets get down to business...
So I just recieved my 15 inch Powerbook G4. It's a 1.67 Ghz model, with 2 Gb of Ram, and a 100 Gb 7200 rpm Hard Drive. I am currently awaiting my M Box2 (factory bundle) with Pro Tools, via UPS.
I have read the documentation on the digidesign website, and have read that it is strongly suggested to get an external/additional hard drive, instead of using the internal boot drive. But is it necessary? I got the larger internal drive hoping that it might be sufficient. If not I can live with that. I'll spend the money if I must.
So my next question is this...is pro tools compatible with usb 2.0 external Hard drives? Or can you ONLY use firewire/sata/whatever else they list drives. The usb 2.o's are cheaper for more storage than the firewire models. But I definently believe you get what you pay for.
And what about internal drives placed in shells? That seems to be the cheapest/most economical option, but I don't know nothing about that stuff. Is it hard to do?...what is my best strategy here?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 31 janv. 2006, 01:13
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

I was thinking about DVDs.

Think about backuping regularly, as any drive can commit suicide, and if you move it it is even more likely. Not to bother you, but it's a pain in the ass to recover things if it happens. I've never had a drive doing it to me, but it happens to members of MM so you've got to be covered.

On the partitions, I was meaning that it's easier to swap files from one partition to another when partitions are of the same size. You can even use only one daily, and copy every evening the files on the other partition as backup strategy, it won't be 100% safe (as on the same drive) but save the drive blows, you only loose one day of work.

Now, I don't want to tell you one solution is better than the other, I'm showing the possibilities. You may even end up with another set up you feel more adapted to your way to work. smile.gif

Now, time you do your own thing wink.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 16 juin 2024, 06:59
- © MacMusic 1997-2008