MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Powerbook G4/pro Tools/external Hard Drives, Newbie help
jawnzap7
posté lun. 23 janv. 2006, 01:26
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 janv. 06
Lieu : Philadelphia - US
Membre no 75,714

First I just wanna say thanks to everybody on this site. I just joined but, have already learned a ton just from poking around. It seems as if everybody here is very patient, and informative...now that the requisite ass-kissing is over , lets get down to business...
So I just recieved my 15 inch Powerbook G4. It's a 1.67 Ghz model, with 2 Gb of Ram, and a 100 Gb 7200 rpm Hard Drive. I am currently awaiting my M Box2 (factory bundle) with Pro Tools, via UPS.
I have read the documentation on the digidesign website, and have read that it is strongly suggested to get an external/additional hard drive, instead of using the internal boot drive. But is it necessary? I got the larger internal drive hoping that it might be sufficient. If not I can live with that. I'll spend the money if I must.
So my next question is this...is pro tools compatible with usb 2.0 external Hard drives? Or can you ONLY use firewire/sata/whatever else they list drives. The usb 2.o's are cheaper for more storage than the firewire models. But I definently believe you get what you pay for.
And what about internal drives placed in shells? That seems to be the cheapest/most economical option, but I don't know nothing about that stuff. Is it hard to do?...what is my best strategy here?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
jawnzap7
posté lun. 30 janv. 2006, 22:19
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 janv. 06
Lieu : Philadelphia - US
Membre no 75,714

So I bought a Seagate Barracudda 25o gig drive, and a Metal Gear Box enclosure with usb 2.0,fw400. The install of the enclosure was simple. Plug in a couple wires, nothing much to it. I plugged it into the fw400 port, and my computer recognized it when I went to the "profiler"... this is what I see...
b-units:
SBP-LUN:
Capacity: 232.89 GB
Removable Media: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

....I installed the driver cd for the enclosure, but it said to go to a download page...

1. Windows 98 driver install

Step 1: Double click on the "My computer" icon on your PC.
Step 2: Double click the CD-ROM driver icon (D:\ or E:\ etc)
where you inserted the installation CD.
Step 3: Double click on the "INSTALL" icon and follow
the instruction to complete the installation.

* Please note that the installation instruction is for WINDOWS 98 & SE
only, not for WINDOWS 2000 or XP.

2.About 1394 in Windows98

Below is the Windows 98 Second Edition 1394 Storage Supplement
Site for 1394 storage peripherals running Windows 98 Second Edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...394/Default.asp

3.About MAC driver in MAC OS 8.6..8.9

Below is the APPLE SUPPORT Site for USB installation under MAC OS8.6 :

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Suppo..../USB_Updates/...

...so I went to the link at the bottom, and it told me to download a usb storage application. When I attempted to do this, it told me I don't have os9 installed, and asked if I wanted to do this. I'm a mac newbie, so I don't have acumen when it comes to this stuff, but I did read some documentation. It seemed to indicate that I can't use os9 apps with OSx. and vice versa. I'm horriblly confused, and feeling quite like an idiot. My pro tools is on OSx. Do I have to put my new hard drive in os9?....thanks for your patience...seven

Ce message a été modifié par jawnzap7 - lun. 30 janv. 2006, 22:27.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 16 juin 2024, 05:18
- © MacMusic 1997-2008