MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Imac Or Powermac?, do i need the power?
kjartan
posté mar. 11 oct. 2005, 11:20
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 15 juin 05
Lieu : Independence - US
Membre no 66,815

Hi there!

I'll be starting an electronica group with a friend in the near future, and plan on getting a Mac with Apple's Logic Pro. We'll be programing drums, synths, virtual instruments and using the guitar modeling and synths in real time. This sounds like a huge load to process all at once, and was wondering if an iMac would give Logic enough juice. The portability and lower price is making me lean towards the iMac, but if we REALLY REALLY need the power of the dual 2GHz G5s, then so be it.

Any input you guys could give would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
--kjartan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
kjartan
posté mer. 12 oct. 2005, 09:09
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 15 juin 05
Lieu : Independence - US
Membre no 66,815

I'll be honest here, and say I've been a PC user all my life. I'm just not sure how Intel's and AMD's GHz translate into the whole G5/PowerPC thing. Like I don't know how to begin to compare a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 to a dual 2 HGz PPC G5.

My assumption of what we'd be using in any given situation:

a) 1-2 drum tracks (Ultrabeat)
b) 3-4 Synth Tracks (Sculpture and others)
c) 1-2 Synth tracks *in real time* (playing along with pre-composed music live on stage)
d) 1 Guitar Amp Pro modeler *in real time* (again, playing along with pre-composed music live on stage)
e) Probably a few misc pre-recorded audio tracks (percussion, basses, keyboards, guitars, etc.)

That just seems like A LOT of "stuff" for a computer to handle all at once. Whichever system I get, I'll have *at least* two gigs of RAM. I know virtual instruments gobble it up like crazy, I'm just not too sure how much *processing* power I'll need.

--kjartan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 13 juin 2024, 12:49
- © MacMusic 1997-2008