MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Latency In Osx, An end to latency?
JackC
posté mer. 21 août 2002, 11:25
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 15 août 02
Lieu : DUBLIN - IE
Membre no 6,879

I've been a pretty happy Protools user for several years now.
Been putting off buying a new 'native' system 'til the whole OSX audio thing settles down.
I think Protools TDM latency is about 1-3 ms on monitoring a record enabled input. I've heard that OSX with audio units is promising the same if not better performance running 'native' Apps?!
Ideal scenario: Logic 5 OSX running @ 96k, with true dual processor support. Anyone any ideas if l Emagic plan to release a new Pro 96k Sound Card with multiple outputs?
Am I expecting too much? blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
formatj
posté mer. 4 sept. 2002, 06:03
Message #2

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 09 juil. 02
Lieu : Sydney - AU
Membre no 5,658

Why the angry face? Emagic hasn't stiffed anyone! Apple and Emagic are developing a superior technology which is going to make apple the far superior computer for music/audio production.

Why do you want ASIO support?
Have you seen an ASIO driver for OSX yet?
Even if there was ASIO support in OS X the driver would have to be carbonised.

Core Audio is the new standard for OS X.
It is part of the operating system meaning better stability, performance, lower latency, better timing and less conflicts.
If you look at all the manufacturers who have written audio drivers for OSX so far they are Core Audio drivers.
Core Audio drivers will allow multiple applications to access the audio device at once.

The reason there is no Digi support for Logic in OSX at the moment is because it has to be developed in cooperation with Digidesign who haven't released any statement on their direction with OS X yet.

As for VST support how many VST plugins that you own have been coded for OS X yet? They will have to be "carbonised". Emagic has said that for any VST plugins already written for OSX there will be a simple process that will take a matter of hours to convert OS X VST to the audio unit format.

Do you really think there will be manufacturers, who for the sake of a few hours work, will not make audio unit versions of their plugins and lose potentially thousands of sales. I think not.
I know there will possibly be some products written by manufacturers exclusively for their own sequencer to entice customers to use their product but don't forget Steinberg released VST and allowed others to then adopt the standard. They then increased software sales so that they reached users of other sequencers by selling their own VST synths/FX.

Matt

P.S. remember the Atari (with MIDI port built into computer) and how people still claim that the timing and MIDI side of things were so rock solid. Having Core Audio, Core MIDI and Audio Units are going to bring back the best parts of this stability and timing!
P.P.S Native Instruments will be supporting Audio Units.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Les messages de ce sujet

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 26 juin 2024, 00:59
- © MacMusic 1997-2008