MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> Recording A Djembe, CAn't get that studio sound
Seth Peterson
posté lun. 6 juin 2005, 17:04
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 mars 05
Lieu : San Francisco - US
Membre no 62,759

I have a selection of mics, use 98khz, and have a decent preamp but still can't get a good recording that captures the tone. I was thinking it might be the small room but not shure. Any help?

--------------------
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 duo, 2.16 2gb ram, Cubase 4, Reason 3.5, Peak, motu 828mkII, OctoPre Le, some mics and Ideas, and your helpful tips.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
tsuliman
posté lun. 6 juin 2005, 19:08
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 janv. 03
Lieu : Hamtramck - US
Membre no 10,971

I have done a bit of experimenting with the djembe, and so far, my best results have come bu using this technique:

1. Large conderser over the drum head about 6 inches, on a 45 degree angle, aimed at the center of the drum. I use a Neumann TLM103 or AT 4040. I use the AT4040 if I need to engage a -10dB pad, depending on the player.
2. Large diaphragm dynamic mic under the drum pointed directly up towards the center of the head. The capsule is actually in the drum about 2 inches. I use an AKG D112. I also reverse the phase on this input.

Mic (1) gets the slap of the head and the high tones that are played nearer the rim. Mic (2) gets the body of the drum and the low tone that is produced by playing the center of the head with the palm. I mix the two by ear to get a good level of the two sounds, primarily focusing on the top. If I use reverb, I send more of the top channel than the bottom.

Since neither the drums nor the players are standard, your mileage may vary. Good luck, and let us know if you learn any other tips!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - lundi 23 sept. 2024, 03:20
- © 440 Forums 2011