MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> Samson Monitors, diff between resolv 80a's and rubicon's
greeneye
posté jeu. 28 avril 2005, 22:29
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 28 avril 05
Lieu : Downpatrick - UK
Membre no 64,916

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the samson resolov 80a's and their next level rubicon series. There is hardly any word on them to be found on the web. This would be much appreciated as I'm a complete novice all I know is that the rubicons because they use 'ribbon' for their cones it means they do not colour the sound which I prefer. but as I say havn't gotta clue, thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
bufflo
posté mar. 10 mai 2005, 09:38
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 26 mai 03
Lieu : SE
Membre no 18,540

Okay, so I finally checked out the Rubicons again, brought a cd of songs I know well with me to the store. I did an A/B with them and other monitors in the same price range.

The Rubicon's treble is very bright and sparkly, it really came through on acoustic material, as well as expensive preamp/mic vocals. The low mids are kind of lacking, so maybe that's a testament to the curve being flat (and you're supposed to use it with a sub with a high crossfreq)?

They would be interesting monitors to own for sure, but I won't buy them for two reasons. I'm a producer/songwriter more than an engineer, so when I write I want to feel those low mids that kind of push the song in the right direction. I didn't feel any of that with the Rubicons, they weren't breathing down there.

The second thing is the sweet spot, it's very precise. Turn your head the slightest, and the sound is totally different. Move back a bit, and it sounds like crap. I guess ribbon speakers just aren't for me, the made me feel trapped. I wouldn't be able to use them as my primary monitors, but for anyone looking for something different they're definitely worth checking out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 30 juin 2024, 13:49
- © 440 Forums 2011