MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Multi-tracking With A 828mkii
Zerfram
posté mar. 29 juil. 2003, 03:22
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 29 juil. 03
Lieu : Ames - US
Membre no 22,104

Hey, if someone could give me some comments, I'd be greatfull.

My Jazz Band director has purchased a 828mkII and wants to use it to make multi-track the jazz band. He wants to record sections on seperate tracks so we can re-record a track if someone makes an error. What would be the best way to go about this. We can only connect 2 mics directly to the 828mkII right? We also have a 24x4 mixer we use for live stuff that I figure we'll need to use. I'm sure this can be done somehow, but I need help.

-Pete
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s) (1 - 7)
azusa
posté mar. 29 juil. 2003, 04:32
Message #2

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 21 août 02
Membre no 7,031

If you buy XLR-> 1/4" adapter, you can connect another 8 mics such SM 57,58.
Or you can use your mixer's direct outs connect to the 8 inputs on the back.

If you want more, you can rent digitalt mixer that has ADAT otical for another 8 inputs.
And dont forget another 2 inputs of SPDIF.

Ce message a été modifié par azusa - mar. 29 juil. 2003, 04:34.

+Quote Post
scientificbox
posté ven. 1 août 2003, 04:49
Message #3

Inscrit : 25 mai 03
Lieu : Montague - US
Membre no 18,485

the live mixer should have either direct channel outputs or insert points. using these you can feed the microphones directly from mixers preamps into the 828. you will have some individual level and panning control over the sections, but re-recording will be tough. there will be alot of bleed between the mics. if you have a large room to record in, you can try to spread out the band and put gobos between sections, but this might affect your performance. i would set up a stereo pair to record the whole band and then set up mics for sections and soloists. no good overdubbing that way, but the recordings will probobly sound better.

+Quote Post
zygoat
posté dim. 3 août 2003, 17:11
Message #4

Inscrit : 04 juin 03
Lieu : Ottawa - CA
Membre no 19,086

QUOTE (azusa @ Jul 29 2003, 03:32)
If you buy XLR-> 1/4" adapter, you can connect another 8 mics such SM 57,58.

I am in the market for an 828, and like the OP would love to be able to attach eight mics.

The web site pretty clearly state that there are only two pre-amps on board. So how would it work attaching mics direct to the inputs on the back? Are you saying that the 828 will supply enough gain to make them work, or are you misinformed?

-ben

+Quote Post
scientificbox
posté dim. 3 août 2003, 18:04
Message #5

Inscrit : 25 mai 03
Lieu : Montague - US
Membre no 18,485

The web site pretty clearly state that there are only two pre-amps on board. So how would it work attaching mics direct to the inputs on the back? Are you saying that the 828 will supply enough gain to make them work, or are you misinformed?

unless azusa knows a few tricks i don't, this doesn't seem like a good idea. with a transformer based xlr-1/4" adapter, you could probobly get a useable signal into the computer from very loud sources (drums and guitar amps) but the levels would be several(10-30) db lower than through a preamp. i bought a used fostex 450 mixing board (eight pre amps with individual switched phantom power) for $50.00. eight xlr-1/4" adapters would cost at least that much a give poorer results, not to mention the other convienences of having a mixing board around. if you've got a larger budget than mine spearate outboard preamps are a nice option, but before spending too much on them look at the 896. its about $500.00 more than the 828 and has eight good preamp built in.

+Quote Post
macmidi
posté lun. 4 août 2003, 18:26
Message #6

Inscrit : 13 févr. 03
Lieu : San Fran - US
Membre no 12,218

Preamps are for CONDENSER mics. SM57, 58 are DYNAMIC mics and don't require phantom power or a preamp. while the gain isn't extremely loud, it should give you enough power to work 8 mics.

+Quote Post
posté lun. 4 août 2003, 19:00
Message #7

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

Mic preamps are for both condenser and dynamic mics. Phantom power is for condenser mic. You can plug an instrument to a line input, if the instrument (some piezo-pickups etc.) is preamplified but if you plug an electric guitar or a mic to a line input, you will get way too low levels. There are also differencies in impedances, but i cannot explain what that means.

The 828mkII has two preamps. As far as i have understood, you can also set the line level higher via the software, but that´s just to give some extra boost to line level devices if needed.
hope helps. java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:')

+Quote Post
posté lun. 4 août 2003, 19:00
Message #8

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 11 oct. 2024, 00:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008