MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Stereo Vocals?
jimmynitcher
posté mar. 24 mai 2005, 16:54
Message #1

Groupe : Validating
Inscrit : 08 juin 02
Lieu : London
Membre no 5,004

Hi,

I am confused about single output things such as mic's and the RNC comp I was about to buy - isn't it better to have their signal split into two by a compressor that has left and right outs? Why then, does such a compressor only have one out per channel?

bear with me,

thanks

J

--------------------
Macbook Pro 2 ghz/15"/10.3.4/1 g RAM/x2 monitors/Logic Pro 7.2/Ableton Live 5.0/Reason 3/Fireface 800/PSP Vintage Warmer/Roland JD800/Roland SH101/Arturia Moog Modular/Epiphone Firebird 7/Guitar Rig/Dynaudio BM5a monitors.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s) (1 - 6)
coldharbour
posté mar. 24 mai 2005, 18:41
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 14 mars 05
Lieu : -
Membre no 62,351

Many compressors have two channels so that you can either use it as two separate mono compressors or link the channels together to use it as a single stereo compressor.

When youre recording a mono source, like an ordinary condenser microphone, you don't spiit the signal in two - you only use one channel of the compressor to process the signal and then feed it forward as mono signal.

+Quote Post
jimmynitcher
posté mer. 25 mai 2005, 09:50
Message #3

Membre no 5,004

Thanks for your reply,

is it more [I]desirable[I] to record a mic with two linkable mono's ?

I'm trying to work out whether to buy a RNC by FMR which is mono.

then again, maybe I don't need a hardware compressor at all - I use Ableton Live and I can put one of it's compressors on my recording channel without any latencey... people speak of the quality of the RNC...maybe should I go for a better quality plug in?

thanks again

J

--------------------
Macbook Pro 2 ghz/15"/10.3.4/1 g RAM/x2 monitors/Logic Pro 7.2/Ableton Live 5.0/Reason 3/Fireface 800/PSP Vintage Warmer/Roland JD800/Roland SH101/Arturia Moog Modular/Epiphone Firebird 7/Guitar Rig/Dynaudio BM5a monitors.

+Quote Post
coldharbour
posté mer. 25 mai 2005, 11:17
Message #4

Membre no 62,351

is it more [I]desirable[I] to record a mic with two linkable mono's ?

If you're recording a mono source, like a normal condenser mic, you only use one mono compressor. When the source is monophonic there's usually no sense in compressing it with a stereo compressor.

But like I wrote above, most stereo compressors can act as two separate mono compressors. In this scenario you'd be feeding the signal into just one channel of the stereo compressor and outputting it mono.

If you don't need to record or process any stereo signal you might as well go with a single channel mono compressor. With the price of a stereo compressor you'll probably get a better quality mono compressor. I haven't used RNC or FMR so I can't comment on their performance.

then again, maybe I don't need a hardware compressor at all - I use Ableton Live and I can put one of it's compressors on my recording channel without any latencey... people speak of the quality of the RNC...maybe should I go for  a better quality plug in?

There certainly are some top notch software compressors around, but they also cost money. If you aren't in a situation where you absolutely need a HW compressor I'd strongly consider going all software.

I personally do almost all processing by software, but when recording vocals I use a hardware compressor and some other gear - just because I feel it is easier to quickly come up with the right settings when you have your hands on the actual hardware.

But in the end it's a matter of preference and taste, go for the setup that you feel suits you best.

+Quote Post
jimmynitcher
posté mer. 25 mai 2005, 11:38
Message #5

Membre no 5,004

Great, thanks a lot the penny has dropped!

I have a SE2200a condenser which is obviously mono, but I've been recording vocals through a Behringer compressor which can link two mono channels, which I guess splits the signal into two as you say, these then go to my soundcard/software - I take it there is no particular advantage to doing this (as that is not 'proper' stereo) and I may as well have been going through just the one of the channels on the Behringer.

I would rather go the software route - can you recommend a standalone compressor that's good for vocals/guitar?

I really appreciate this, it's been a hole in my knowledge that has been bugging me for a while.

J

--------------------

+Quote Post
coldharbour
posté mer. 25 mai 2005, 12:09
Message #6

Membre no 62,351

I take it there is no particular advantage to doing this (as that is not 'proper' stereo) and I may as well have been going through just the one of the channels on the Behringer.

That is correct.

I would rather go the software route - can you recommend a standalone compressor that's good for vocals/guitar?

Wouldn't you rather be using the compressor as a plug-in in your recording software? Some of my favourite software compressors include the basic allrounder Waves Renaissance (not forgetting Waves C1) + the more lavish Focusrite d3 and Drawmer Dynamics.

There's also the less expensive new Sonalksis dynamic processors, but I haven't had time to check them out yet.

I believe there are demo versions of most of the software I mentioned available, just check them out yourself and pick what's best suited for you.

I really appreciate this, it's been a hole in my knowledge that has been bugging me for a while.

Glad to be able to help.

+Quote Post
jimmynitcher
posté mer. 25 mai 2005, 13:20
Message #7

Membre no 5,004

Great, I really can get rid of more of this rack stuff!

Thanks again

J

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 23 oct. 2024, 09:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008