MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Help! Can I Plug In My Us G5 Into British Power?
JamieMill
posté lun. 8 nov. 2004, 16:21
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 23 juin 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 45,685

I have recently imported a G5 from the USA and have been plugging it into a transformer to allow it to be connected to the British mains which is 240V. However, I have blown two transformers in the past two weeks, even though they are supposed to handle 200vA and would like to know if my G5 has auto power switching. I have had conflicting answers from Apple support and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this before?

Jamie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s) (1 - 3)
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 9 nov. 2004, 06:50
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

The power units from all Apple computers are universal given you provide it a local power cable. the switching is automatic so plug and go.

The reason you cooked the transformers is that desktops mac can use much more than 200 VA… if you go upper than that, your transformer is done. Mind that a G5 can gobble about 220 V - 7,5 A enough to fry… wink.gif

I couldn't find the precise consuming of G5s but the lower figure (minimal set up) is certainly in the 200 VA anyway.

Go buy a UK main cable NOW tongue.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
JamieMill
posté mar. 9 nov. 2004, 14:16
Message #3

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 23 juin 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 45,685

Thanks, i tried it last night and it worked fine.

A warning to anyone who tries this with a USA G5 iMac, apparently you will definately fry the PSU if you plug it in to British power.

Ce message a été modifié par JamieMill - mar. 9 nov. 2004, 14:19.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 9 nov. 2004, 22:09
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

The power unit of the iMac G5 are localized, I'v just checked, so a tranfomer is mandatory then angry.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 23 oct. 2024, 00:31
- © MacMusic 1997-2008