MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Hardware Crash, mac crash under OSX
eaks
posté dim. 19 juin 2005, 19:05
Message #1

Groupe : Validating
Inscrit : 05 août 03
Lieu : CA
Membre no 22,521

theres people saying that a computer running mac OSX shall never crash. What should I think of mine, sometimes crashing for no appearent reason. could it be the non-kingston ram? or the 2408 mkII audio card?

the screen turns darker and the computer freezes on a message in 4 languages saying I have to press the power button for several time so it can shut. Sometimes it's accompanied by a few messages such as cpu0 panic and/or talking about ethernet routing or wrong ip adresses. But most of the time, th ethernet wire is unplugged from that computer (G4 2x1,25Ghz w/ 1,75Ghz RAM)

any suggestions?
did it ever happened to one of you guys?

--------------------
you wish!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s) (1 - 8)
jaffi
posté dim. 19 juin 2005, 20:07
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 19 juin 05
Lieu : San Diego - US
Membre no 66,983

Sounds like you're either having kernel panicks or your memory does indeed suck. What brand did you get? I would never get anything other than Apple's stuff, Kingston, or Crucial. I prefer Crucial because it's the cheapest of the three and is guaranteed. Have you tried repairing permissions?

Ce message a été modifié par jaffi - dim. 19 juin 2005, 20:12.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 20 juin 2005, 13:00
Message #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Sure it can be the RAM. Also, on which flavour of OS X are you running?

Save the OS, which software are usually running?

It IS a kernel panic, that is, something got very very wrong at a low level of the system. Usually it's either an old version of Panther (below 10.3.6 mostly), some software (I had mines with some JAVA apps), or stupid things like RAM not totally Mac compatible. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
posté lun. 20 juin 2005, 15:23
Message #4

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 19 mars 03
Lieu : Umeå - SE
Membre no 14,645

Check also if your mouse and keyboard and/or your extra USB-Hub - if you got one.
Remove the usb-hub, replace or borrow a fresh usb-mouse and/or keyboard and try again.

I got lot's av kernel panics when my "ms optical usb mouse" went on the blink.
Replaced it and havent had crash since.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
eaks
posté lun. 20 juin 2005, 16:27
Message #5

Groupe : Validating
Inscrit : 05 août 03
Lieu : CA
Membre no 22,521

thanks for the tips guys, Ill check this all out. I'm on OSX panther 10.3.9 so it shouldnt be that. My keyboard is a Mac one (white & clear) and my mouse is a logitech with which I never had problems before. But the rest is all to check...

Lets say I have no time to fix it before a week or so, could it be harmful to my mac?

thanks again

--------------------
you wish!!!!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 20 juin 2005, 23:58
Message #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

No not harmful for the mac, but on the software level you may never know… Try to keep things clean to the max, I'd run once a day the Apple drive utility to be sure (restart from the instal disk and select the ADU from the install menu).

it's not the end of the world but something is wrong. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Chris C.L
posté mar. 28 juin 2005, 15:09
Message #7

Inscrit : 18 juil. 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 47,155

I have an I-mac which crashes when woken up from sleep. OS10.3.7. It has been hapening since installing speed touch modem from btyarhoo. They say they cant keep up with all the software updates. No hope getting Tiger for a few years as long as I stay with BT. huh.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 28 juin 2005, 22:48
Message #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

Speed Touch are made by Alcatel and are well known offenders… They've NEVER been able to produce a single working driver with no fuss.

The iMac crashing on waking up is a known problem on some first generation G5 imacs. I'm not sure but 10.3.9 may help (read it somewhere…)(clone before updating), I'd look on a general mac forum likeMacOSg (was G5 support group) to be sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris C.L
posté mer. 29 juin 2005, 17:27
Message #9

Inscrit : 18 juil. 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 47,155

I will download 10.3.9 lepetitmartian cheers. I have a G4 i-mac tough and had the machine a year before going broadband/speedtouch without this trouble. I now leave the mac for a while after wakeing which has reduced creshes.
Is is healthy to leave the machine on sleep or should it be shut down after use?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (3 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - lundi 14 oct. 2024, 05:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008