MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vst System Linking, Wave of the Future?
posté sam. 7 sept. 2002, 03:03
Message #1

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

I've decided to go this route.
Anyone using this technology. Any problems?

In either case, very excited about putting those old PC's to work. Perhaps I'll hide a few server blades in a closet or something so that everyone will marvel at the power and think it's just me. cool.gif

Would love any feedback.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
damann
posté sam. 7 sept. 2002, 14:34
Message #2

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 11 juin 02
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 5,044

currently only supported by cubase!
this is what's better known as clustering, getting to be pretty common in the world of servers and high end film/video. wink.gif
seems it won't be too long before it hits us all like a tsunami though...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
deleted
posté sam. 7 sept. 2002, 16:12
Message #3

SuperHero

Groupe : Banned
Inscrit : 24 févr. 02
Membre no 3,562

QUOTE (damann @ Sep 7 2002, 15:34)

And Nuendo, also by Steinberg...

Anyway, remember that all computers will need a s/pdif i/o available, to physically link the computers. The concept is very interesting IMHO, but you'll need cubase or nuendo on every machine, let's just hope that Steinberg will allow concurrent sequencers to support this technology.

Bye.

+Quote Post
tao067
posté lun. 9 sept. 2002, 17:30
Message #4

Inscrit : 02 avril 02
Lieu : Berkeley
Membre no 4,096

Yeah- it would be nice if SBERG publishes the source for this feature since it is in the ASIO section - but hold on all of you Logic5/Mac heads - remember Apple owns firewire - mLAN runs on FWIRE - MusicLAN vs System Link? very possible blink.gif

+Quote Post
deleted
posté lun. 9 sept. 2002, 21:39
Message #5

SuperHero

Membre no 3,562

It would be nice, that's for sure ;-) For us, and os X...

Just a question, will any ASIO drived s/pdif equiped audio interface work with system link? If affirmative, wow...
Any clarification on this subject will be greatly appreciated, steinberg is quite discrete about the protocol, IMHE.
Will this be an ASIO driver work, or a sequencer work (sorry for my lack of vocabulary)?

And where is MLAN at? Any audio interfaces driver supporting this, or any multi-track or external digital processors? Except some synths, is there any support at all?

If it's the same story as with VST support (ie works with Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, DP, etc. Only ProTools is missing...), well, 'VST-SL' is encouraging, i think. I just need to SEE and HEAR it in REAL :-)

Bye.

+Quote Post
damann
posté mar. 10 sept. 2002, 03:11
Message #6

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 11 juin 02
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 5,044

...seems to me, we have time to father, AND witness the birth, of a child, in the meantime. biggrin.gif
sorry, but i can't help feeling that if i don't think about it too much, i can conceiveably become a millionaire in the interim period... tongue.gif

if you're a swineberg user you can obviously (with great caution) ignore this post, but...

how about some f'ing 3rd party support/plugins to get the ball rolling/provide a decent reason for mlan to support it?

vst seems to be an anachronym for "virtually shagged technology" as far as i can see.
hopefully, swinedog have some kind of compassion for their mac users...
unsure.gif blink.gif tongue.gif
sorry not to show enough compassion to scumboy, but, unlike them, i don't get to drive the car that delivers my destiny. blink.gif
i'll shut up now...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
posté mar. 10 sept. 2002, 11:45
Message #7

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

QUOTE (Yukulele @ Sep 7 2002, 10:12)
QUOTE (damann @ Sep 7 2002, 15:34)

And Nuendo, also by Steinberg...

Anyway, remember that all computers will need a s/pdif i/o available, to physically link the computers.....

......let's just hope that Steinberg will allow concurrent sequencers to support this technology.

If it's just a matter of picking up a few soundcards....Then I'm SO in!

Steinberg did open up the VST standard...which is cool. They may follow the coolness suit here. My guess is that they will.

Just a question? Which is faster...100mb Ethernet or spdif connection? Thought that Ethernet was. Guess it doesn't really matter. I'm so psyched about about this VST link thing.

+Quote Post
deleted
posté sam. 14 sept. 2002, 20:06
Message #8

SuperHero

Membre no 3,562

QUOTE (ioGirl @ Sep 10 2002, 12:45)
just a question? Which is faster...100mb Ethernet or spdif connection? Thought that Ethernet was. Guess it doesn't really matter. I'm so psyched about about this VST link thing.

Let's see: 48kHz in 16 bit stereo is 48000x16x2=1536000 b/s, about 1,5Mb/s, quite slower than 100Mb/s... But maybe there is something else i'm missing here, as Steinberg state ADAT, T/DIF and AES/EBU?
The question could be, how many audio channels on a qsingle s/pdif connection? Anyone?
Also, ethernet is not so fine for real-time audio streaming, it's all about latency.

Bye.

PS: iogirl, don't psychote ;-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 20 sept. 2024, 05:33
- © MacMusic 1997-2008