MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac G5 And Logic Need Help, advice on buying
bertie mac
posté mar. 20 juil. 2004, 16:27
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 20 juil. 04
Lieu : Brighton And Hove - UK
Membre no 47,296

Hello

I am currently using a mac g4 (440mhz) and cubase. I am looking to upgrade to a mac g5 and switching to logic.
I will be using plugins and audio exclusively to begin with (although I would like to add hardware modules to my set up in the future.)
My question is will I have to buy the top of the range G5 in order to get the best out of logic and it's plugins? will a lesser spec. be ok?
Also will I still need an external audio processor?
What features will I definately need to consider with the G5 and which features can I ignore - baring in mind that I will use the G5 only for music applications.
Any advice would be really appreciated! thanks in advance.

Confused Rob!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eric_berlin
posté mer. 21 juil. 2004, 13:12
Message #2

Inscrit : 25 juin 04
Membre no 45,792

it all depends of what kind of project you plan to do and your needs to get audio in and out of your computer.
if i was you, I would start getting Logic Pro and keep the g4. add an audio interface like digi 002 or motu/rme + fast harddrives dedicated for audio and max ram.
with such a set-up, you can already do a lot... record/mix several tracks adding some plugIns and test different virtual instruments to see how much power you will need for your projects.
then you could consider buying an upgrade card with a double g4 processor 1,2 gh... 600/700 $.
in a few months, when you know your specific needs and your projects grow, you'll be able to see if you need a g5 and which one and you can always keep your upgraded g4 using it as a standalone sampler or synth slaved to your main machine.
may be, you'll choose to work with external instruments and record live musicians... your final mix projects will have 24 tracks and your mic placements and preamp were so good that you wont need much audio treatment in the mix. in that case, your g4 machine will probably do the job.
it's common to say that a computer is never fast enough but at the same time, many audio projects could be done on the machine you have.
best,
eric

+Quote Post
jessone
posté ven. 23 juil. 2004, 17:36
Message #3

Inscrit : 10 mai 04
Lieu : Napa - US
Membre no 42,954

I've got the 1.8 gig dual processor G5 and it just flies. And of course Logic is built for it. The cost difference among the models is minimal so just buy the most you can afford.

Have Fun

+Quote Post
majn
posté sam. 24 juil. 2004, 06:23
Message #4

Rookie

Inscrit : 23 févr. 04
Lieu : Oxford - UK
Membre no 36,665

"I've got the 1.8 gig dual processor G5 and it just flies"

Hey - I've been using a G4 with Logic Pro which has been really grumbly - So I ordered a 2.0 dual processor G5 last week which I should get early next week so reading this has just made my weekend.

Thanks man!

M

--------------------
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 / 2 x 19" Formac Monitors / Hammerfall Digi 9652 / Mackie d8b / 2.5 gig RAM

iMac G5 1.8 17" / M-Audio 1814 Firewire / Tascam TM-D1000 / 2 gig RAM

Lacie Firewire Drives

Logic Pro 7 / NI Battery - Guitar Rig - B4 / GMedia MTron / Crystal / LinPlug RMIV / OSX 10.3.6

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (3 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 27 oct. 2024, 22:17
- © MacMusic 1997-2008