MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G5 Pwbk, Wait until the summer for the G5?
birkett99
posté mar. 24 févr. 2004, 23:39
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 16 févr. 04
Lieu : Saint Cibard - FR
Membre no 35,970

[SIZE=7]Hi,
I'm just about to buy a 17" G4 Powerbook for my music production.

I heard that IBM have just finished making the components for the G5 Powerbook and that the product line should be ready for this summer.

I have a question for those wired dudes : -

Now, should I go and buy the G4 next week?
or
Wait until the summer for the G5?

Do you think that the newest release will be faulty and will comprise my work with the hardware etc.? Is it better to stay with a long running product like the G4? or am I talking bull sh**?
Would love to have some feedback.
Later,
dude unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PristineRec
posté mer. 25 févr. 2004, 00:12
Message #2

Inscrit : 15 janv. 04
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 33,284

I think there is definitely something to be said for going for technology that is known to work instead of being "on the bleeding edge". Others will have exactly the opposite opinion, but everybody has their own opinion and their own reasons.

I am just thinking back to when the G5 tower very fist came out, there were lots of third-party incompatibilty issues with it for awhile, until the software and hardware manufacturers had time to test it thoroughly and tweak their products to work with it. I just bought a Digi 002 last week straight from the manufacturer, and it still comes with 2 different install disks, depending on if you have a G4 or G5, and there are still known problems with correct operation on the G5.

There are still issues with some software and some hardware working with the G5 tower, and the new G5 processor will likely have brand new compatibility issues for a little while.

Some people like to have the newest, fastest machines available for a variety of different reasons. I work in a technology industry, and worked for a company for many years that was always among the first in the country to purchase new equipment. It was great to have the newest technology and the fastest computers, but when you have problems with them because some older equipment isn't totally compatible with them, there are very few places to go for help with it. If nobody else has the new computer yet, nobody else can help you troubleshoot your glitches with it.

Just a bit of a cautionary tale for you.

I like to let other people be the test subjects and work out the bugs before I jump in to new technology. It's usually a lot cheaper if you wait a little while, too!

+Quote Post
birkett99
posté mer. 25 févr. 2004, 00:24
Message #3

Inscrit : 16 févr. 04
Lieu : Saint Cibard - FR
Membre no 35,970

Thanks for the info,
I think I'm gonna go for the G4 and wait a year or two until all the, probable, G5 bugs have been sorted. Then sell the G4 and buy the new.
All the best,
JB

+Quote Post
musicart
posté mer. 25 févr. 2004, 02:45
Message #4

Inscrit : 05 déc. 03
Lieu : Kikland - CA
Membre no 30,428

QUOTE (birkett99 @ Feb 24 2004, 23:24)
Thanks for the info,
I think I'm gonna go for the G4 and wait a year or two until all the, probable, G5 bugs have been sorted. Then sell the G4 and buy the new.
All the best,
JB

Or...
you can wait until the G5 Pwrk comes out, and then take advantage of the price drop on the G4...

Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions

+Quote Post
dmrkh
posté ven. 5 mars 2004, 04:43
Message #5

Rookie

Inscrit : 01 oct. 03
Lieu : Detroit - US
Membre no 25,829

I like/admire/respect the way your mind works, musicart's; rather like my grandmother's cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 19:31
- © MacMusic 1997-2008