MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Powermac G5 To Get?, How much power do I need?
thegrapeguy
posté sam. 18 févr. 2006, 19:57
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 févr. 06
Lieu : Bridgeport - US
Membre no 77,070

I am new to the board but based on the purchase I'm about to make I will probably be visiting often. I am entering the world of computer-based recording because the Roland 1680 hard disc recorder I had been using is finally crashed due to disc fragmentation beyond repair.

In my research I have zeroed in on a G5, Logic Pro 7.2, Apogee Ensemble, and a Tascam 2400 audio control surface.
My questions are:

Which G5 should I get? - I have as many as 60 or so single song recording progects at any one time ranging from 16 - 24 tracks of audio. In the summer I offer a Music Video camp and will occasionally produce a "simple" music video with simple editing. I've heard for anything to do with video that the quad core is 2.5 the way to go. However I would like to get away with the 2.3 dual core if it can handle simple video. To what effect does the choice of dual core 2.0, 2.3, or quad core 2.5 G5's have to do with day to day music recording?

Are there any other alternatives for an audio control surface that has 24 faders than the Tascam US 2400? I feel I need this type of unit so that when I mix it will be as "old school hands on the faders" as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
epidermus
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 03:36
Message #2

Inscrit : 28 nov. 05
Lieu : Albuquerque - US
Membre no 73,103

I'm in exactly the same predicament. My G4 Powerbook can't handle what I am demanding of Logic Pro 7, so I'm purchasing a new G5 in the near future. Which model to get - dual 2.0, 2.3, or quad 2.5?? Are the dual or quad chips wasted on Logic? No one seems to answer posts like this... maybe I'm just way too ignorant.

+Quote Post
lancet
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 05:28
Message #3

Inscrit : 07 juil. 04
Lieu : - US
Membre no 46,480

the quad, if you can afford it.

no question.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hahaworld
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 06:23
Message #4

Inscrit : 24 avril 04
Lieu : Knoxville - US
Membre no 41,728

A related question for any takers:

Has anyone heard when Apple will be installing Pentium processors in the desktop models? I don't want one. I'm just hoping the price on the G5 Quad will go down when the Pentiums come out before they discontinue them altogether.

Thanks for any rumors anyone might be able to share!

hahaworld

+Quote Post
thedomus
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 08:17
Message #5

Rookie

Inscrit : 05 sept. 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 50,307

Pentiums!!! I hope they are not. Us Mac heads are hoping its the "Woodcrest" dual core x 2 (64 bit quad), and they will be announced probably in August.
If you have many 3rd party plug-ins and utilities I suggest you do a checklist to see which ones are Universal Binary before deciding on a Quad or waiting for the new Mac Pro's.
A current PPC quad will rock hard for years to come.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 09:23
Message #6

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 10 févr. 06
Lieu : Hamburg - DE
Membre no 76,633

We can't answere because most of us have not purchased the "new" machines. We all want them, but, we are either waiting to hear reports on their performance, compatibilty with our current software, (who wants to change all the software and codes again, to find it doesn't work, blah-blah, but usually it's a money thing. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I want a new Mac too but I don't 'need' one. But, mostly, I don't want to go through that Software registering, coding thing. Takes days!

So, do us all a favor and buy either the dual 2.0, 2.3, or quad 2.5 and let us now. You can be the first in the 'Hood'. My G5 never stops giving me pleasure, but that new G5... "Sho is real pretty though"

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 16:17
Message #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Right now Logic still does not use the Quad in full, only 2 cores are used. which is a SHAME.

The Quad still stands as the most powerfull around though, but the next desktop generation will blast, be they with core 2 duo, meroms… we'll see. They will be around between end of july and october depending of the CPU Apple will use.

The other problem to take care of is the legacy software you have and the interfaces.

And we still don't know when Logic will use the 4 cores of a Quad…

Right now, if I was a professional in need of power now and using Logic I'd chase a G5 dual CPU, not a dual core (some issues there) second hand. Quads as far as I know are ok for the others DAWs.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
thegrapeguy
posté lun. 17 juil. 2006, 20:46
Message #8

Rookie

Inscrit : 18 févr. 06
Lieu : Bridgeport - US
Membre no 77,070

Hi Epidermus - I did as lepitmartien suggested and went with dual processor 2.7 G5. My choice came down to not enough time to wait for Intel-based desktop. And since there are always the adjustment periods with new gear I went with a refurb from Apple and I'm glad I got Apple care because this machine has already had the logic board and the processors replaced and the optical drive as well. On a happy note it's been working since the repair 3 weeks ago with no crashes (any wood around here). It's very fast and I'm about to get the Apogee Ensemble going. And even back in February I had heard that the Quad core would not use all it's processing power so I saved the money.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté mar. 18 juil. 2006, 10:22
Message #9

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 10 févr. 06
Lieu : Hamburg - DE
Membre no 76,633

thetherapyguy,

Your not just a pretty face, you're smart too! I wanna be just like you! Bravo. But, did I hear you mention the word: Repair!!!! You're right Apple Care is one of the best offers Mac gives. Little investment for years of security. Well worth the money.

+Quote Post
aportman
posté mer. 19 juil. 2006, 07:32
Message #10

Rookie

Inscrit : 13 nov. 05
Lieu : League City - US
Membre no 72,457

Since you guys are on the subject. Is there any projected dates when MacIntel PC will be coming out? i am too thinking about purchasing a G5 to replace my very tired G4 desktop, but hate to spend that kind of money, only for it to become obsolete when the MacIntel PC's come out. I am trying to see if I should just go ahead and purchase a quad G5. As long as it would last me 4 or 5 years that would be great. Thanks for any input!

Allen

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 27 juin 2024, 18:57
- © MacMusic 1997-2008